Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22)

Re: 1941 Packard Clipper Eight Special Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Very nicely executed, congratulations!

Posted on: 2017/10/11 9:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice finish to the car. I like the metal door sills as an alternative for the horribly expensive repro rubber sills and could see them being a factory item on a military vehicle.

Am curious about your color choice as it seems very appropriate. Believe US used Army drab green during that time with the addition of gray or blue for other branches with their later military vehicles. Did the UK use the brown color on their staff cars or is that just your preference.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 9:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello, thank for the kind words, yes the olive Drab colour is a mix that I use on my restorations of WW2 vehicles. most of the vehicles I restore are US military vehicles and the colour came from a US Vehicle, and instead of a flat matt its a slight sheen. My website Rustybits.co.uk will show you some of the other vehicles I have restored. Thanks Howard.

Posted on: 2017/10/11 12:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hi can any body help please, the packard has had the radiator recored the engine was flushed very well, but the car was used and it is getting very very hot, any body got any suggestions as to the cause of the problem. Thanks

Posted on: 2017/10/14 5:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Far from inclusive, not in any particular order, and assuming the new radiator core was at least a match for the original, you might start with these:

-Retarded ignition timing
-Failure of spark advance mechanisms
-Excessively lean fuel mixture (vacuum leak?)
-Slipping or incorrect size fan belt
-Clogged water distribution tube
-Dragging brakes
-Failing water pump
-Collapsing lower radiator hose
-Stuck thermostat
-Restricted exhaust (undersize pipe, wrong type muffler?)

Posted on: 2017/10/14 8:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Howard:

I don't know about the 1941 Clippers, but a friend had a 1941 120 sedan that kept over heating. Turns out it was missing some inner fender/under body panels that helped to force the air through the radiator. Once he found the panels and installed them the car never over heated again.

Hope this helps.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2017/10/14 8:13
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Thanks for those answers. Well I have renewed the radiator and if anything it should be more effective. Yes the exhaust has been renewed for a stainless like for like. It ha a new water pump. I will have to check the timing. All radiator hoses are new. would removing the thermostat make it run cooler. Thank Howard

Posted on: 2017/10/14 10:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
would removing the thermostat make it run cooler.

Only if it is stuck closed or otherwise defective. If it has a really high opening temp such as being an optional 190 degree thermostat used for special climates then the engine would get fairly warm before it opens but as soon as it does open the temp should stabilize around that area.

If it is the original bellows type thermostat and you are running a high pressure cap then those have a problem opening when the pressure gets over 7# or so but they eventually do open. If it is a modern capsule type thermostat those can fit in the housing either way. Make sure it is mounted so the sensing pellet is down and towards the head.

Have you used a mirror or some other means to visually look in the cap opening to see if coolant is circulating. If you see no action in the radiator tank then look to the thermostat or some other blockage. If the coolant is flowing then look to one of the other causes.

Posted on: 2017/10/14 10:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello. well i have just goit around to looking more into the overheating problem. I have removed the waterpump and stuck a boroscope up the heater tube and it looked very clean and the holes all seemed to be clear. I did think about trying to pull it out or is it best left not sure how easy it would remove. Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2017/12/2 15:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 19 20 21 (22)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved