Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 149

Kathy Barrera, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: electric fuel pumps
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Is there a way to clean the ceramic fuel filter at the carb if so equipped?
John

Posted on: 2016/7/30 21:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Suggestions were to soak the element in carb cleaner or lacquer thinner and then blow thru in reverse using compressed air. I don't recall any reports of how successful that was or if one solvent was better than the other.

If you don't succeed in cleaning, new may be available from the vendors. The Packard size is different than other mfgs used and seems to be harder to come by therefore somewhat more expensive than the more common elements used in the filters sold today. Some have said the Packard size was also used in a few farm tractors and elements are available at Tractor Supply. I didn't have luck finding any in the local store but we may be too citified for them to carry it.

Not finding one at the time, I replaced mine almost 10 years ago with a common paper element. Due to the small diameter a bare element was not found that would fit in the bowl but an aftermarket filter assy was available that had an element inside that would. The conversion has held up nicely but if I were to do it again, since Max now has proper gaskets I would buy his gasket instead of trying to make my own.

Attach file:

jpg  (166.13 KB)
209_579d713e324ff.jpg 1275X1650 px

jpg  (144.62 KB)
209_579d71484fcf8.jpg 1275X1650 px

Posted on: 2016/7/30 22:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks Howard, Great information as always.
John

Posted on: 2016/7/31 7:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...Some of us go to the hardware store and get as big a magnet as will fit in the fuel bowl and use it instead of ceremic filter. With the magnet, you can see what is being attracted and you can see when to remove the bowl and clean it and the magnet. Enjoy your Packard...The change in transmission oil will help as well. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/7/31 12:31
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved