Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 94

bertus cardinaal, westernshrouds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Packard taxicabs
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
I am seeking information on the Packard produced taxicabs. Any information will be appreciated. I am trying to document the history of the Packard taxicabs. Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 22:10
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard taxicabs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm assuming your thinking of the 48-50 taxis? That subject was commented on rather extensively on two fairly recent threads on this website dealing with the last 6 cylinder engines. Most of the data as I recall was on production numbers. Use the forum search feature for "last 6 cylinder" or similar and you should find some of what you're looking for.

EDIT: Some further information on Packard taxis can be found in back issues of PAC's The Packard Cormorant. The issues are Summer 1972 starting on pg 17, and Volume 100, starting on page 30. I rather doubt that the older one is still available as a back issue, the other may still may be.

Posted on: 2008/11/20 23:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Certainly not a traditional taxi, but this 1939 Eight by Henney for American Airlines represents a long string of such vehicles made by a variety of builders. One of the earliest such vehicles I've seen a picture of is based on an early Twin-Six. This picture from an article on Packard buses published in The Cormorant, Winter 1974.

A really elegant-looking vehicle, consistent with the eliteness associated with air travel in that era.

Attach file:

jpg  (138.25 KB)
177_4926c733eaacd.jpg 1218X1280 px

Posted on: 2008/11/21 9:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's another, photo from the same source. A 1937 stretch 120 by A. J. Miller built for United Airlines. Wheelbase is 204 inches. Listed as a 12-passenger.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.36 KB)
177_4926cc844e42b.jpg 1221X1280 px

Posted on: 2008/11/21 9:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Thanks. Keep the information coming. There was a write up in the June 2001 Collectible Automobile on our 47 Clipper Taxi.

Posted on: 2008/11/21 13:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: There is a much clearer picture of the 1939 Henney airport limo on page 704 of the Packard book by Kimes. This shows the limo with all the doors open.

On the same page there is the same picture you posted of the 1937 limo by Miller.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/11/21 21:02
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I recall there was a sort of "civilian" version available without a divider window. Also the rear window was open-able on some years iirc?

Posted on: 2010/2/14 15:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If I recall, the divider was required by New York City, perhaps other jurisdictions as well. Somewhere in the Packard lore is a decent picture of the hinged rear window option, perhaps in one of the several articles that have been published on the Packard taxis.

Posted on: 2010/2/16 10:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Thanks for posting the taxi pictures.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 13:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (71.29 KB)
105_4b7f19c7a574e.jpg 750X593 px

Posted on: 2010/2/19 18:07
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved