Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
32 user(s) are online (23 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 31

Mechagon, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: V8 spark plug fitment?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I'll go back down and check, but I could plainly see the screw head image on the left of the number to hold the number plate on the mold. Perhaps the "D" is not actually a D but the other screw head holding the plate on the right side?

Posted on: 2016/8/14 19:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Mine also says "CD" and both screw heads are plainly viisible.
Thanks Dave for correcting this.

Attach file:

jpg  (150.71 KB)
23_57b114519a947.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2016/8/14 20:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
PackardV8 had it right. Service Counselor Vol 29 No 7 speaks of Cast Dome cylinder heads for the 320 cubic inch engines and states that the heads will be marked "440584 CD". They probably later applied the same technology to the heads on the large engine and marked the heads with CD to designate same.

Posted on: 2016/8/14 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Boys, I haven't contributed much lately but thought I should throw some small change into this topic. I can't tell you what numbers are on the heads of my '56 Patrician (body & engine # 5682 3692) until I can get back out in the shed (just had knee surgery this afternoon). What I can tell is that for quite a few years now I have been running NGK BPR5EY plugs in my car and have had no trouble whatsoever - just clean and regap every so often and all is good. By the way, if I remember correctly the "Y" in the number relates to a notched centre electrode which is supposed to divide the spark and give a better burn. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2016/8/15 2:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day John,

All the best with the knee. See you in South Australia at the Packard National Rally next month!

Posted on: 2016/8/15 5:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Cast Dome is a new term for me, perhaps either a way to save some machining costs in a tough financial crisis, or just a better way to shape a more efficient combustion process. I'll add this to my list of changes made to these cars between 1955 and later 1956s. Not having access to the cited Service Counselor bulletin, is there a reason or benefit given, and what mention is made for the spark plugs being changed?

Just like the early and late 1963 Corvettes being distinctly different parts animals, was there a watershed production change when 1956 cars turned into something else? Or did running changes comprise most of the differences between early and late?

Posted on: 2016/8/15 8:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I haven't checked but I'm assuming that Service Counselor is on line here so you can read all the details; hard to scan from a bound volume but here's a snapshot. The change to cast dome combustion chamber also involved changes to the distributor (timing, advance curves), carburetion, and spark plugs (reach changed from 7/16 to 3/4).

Attach file:

jpg  (364.76 KB)
177_57b1c66498be4.jpg 1464X1920 px

Posted on: 2016/8/15 8:30
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Was worried that Packard could have sold leftover '55 engines to AMC for '56, but that was not the case, as number is 6480406 CD on middle exhaust port.

Posted on: 2016/9/17 16:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
What about these.. 14 m but only short threads..

I tried to torque them to 25 lbs but didn't. Feel right.

So put them in at 10 lbs

Attach file:

jpg  (172.80 KB)
4498_5c383f71b2716.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/1/11 2:01
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved