Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 51

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 38 V12 waterpump
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Threaded studs with that have a recess for an "Allen Head" wrench are commonly available in different lengths and thread types. Very handy fastening problem solver in certain situations.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/8/24 13:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
The drawing is helpful and I would still maintain that the water pump is designed to come off without a front clip removal. It would be necessary to remove the fan retaining bolts and the hub retaining nut but an additional clue is that the top two studs are shorter and allow the pump impeller to clear at the same time as the pump housing clears the longer studs. Yea...I know... I only hope that i 'm not the one that has to find out. My water pump is fine ...so far. PT

Posted on: 2016/8/24 16:51
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
In talking to Roger Morrison. He has changed the water many times. If I remember all. Jack up front end. Remove front tires, take off headlights, unbolt bottom of radiator shell, unbolt unbolt from fenders, and frame. Unbolt enough as to allow the radiator, its shell and surround to tilt or move enough to give clearance to remove water pump, with fan already removed. He mentioned to make sure you put on a new hose, as this hose cannot be replaced without removing water pump.
He mentioned that he had heard there is someone who manufactures new 12 pumps and uses a seal without packing.
Thanks

Posted on: 2016/9/8 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Not sure what you call it but there is a watwr housing that bolts to block and pump goes on that.

If still want pictures i can take them.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 2:24
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Ross:

Yes the nose has to come apart, the pump should be held on with bolts, and it is best to modify a flat wrench to fit the packing gland nut which is easily damaged.

I still have my special tools for replacing the packing which are handy for all sorts of things.

One aspect of those pumps is leaking. I believe the castings erode around the shaft which compromises the packing. Thus, a brass shim can be made to create a new seating surface for the packing.

Don't feel bad. Engineering sent us a design where they specify removing the powertrain to change an HVAC line. How stupid is that?

Posted on: 2016/9/11 3:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I was able to dodge the bullet by repacking--for now. My plan if the car comes again leaking is to decline the job.

Posted on: 2016/9/11 6:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved