Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Finding a '39 Starter Button
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
My starter button gave out on my '39 Super-8. so I ordered a NOS button (which is on the left in the photo) and yesterday took out the bad one (the one on the right). They look the same head on, but mounting holes are different and the length difference is obvious. Today I took it to an old electric shop and they said you can't fix that, it's meant as a throwaway piece, and suggested checking clubs and the internet in general for a replacement. Does anyone know if other car companies, (Hudson, Buick, etc) used the same switch? It's about 2 inches long.

Thanks, Steve P.

Attach file:

jpg  (79.04 KB)
3364_57bb2f27a9268.jpg 720X480 px

Posted on: 2016/8/22 11:57
 Top  Print 

Re: Finding a '39 Starter Button
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears the old switch has bent over tabs holding the phenolic terminal support. I would GENTLY bend the tabs up so you can remove the support and see what has happened. Depending on what has broken, it could be that it actually can be repaired and the guy just didn't want to mess with it. If you decide to do that be careful to hold pressure on the phenolic while disassembling so any springs or components won't come flying out.

If the contacts or the sliding plate has burned that might be a more serious issue but generally most of those switches can at least be examined and in most cases repaired. It doesn't work now so what have you got to lose in trying.

If there is room behind the switch for the extra length, and it is not repairable or if you do not find another switch an adapter plate could probably be made to accommodate the hole spacing and move the longer neck back so it fits in the dash properly.

Posted on: 2016/8/22 12:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Repaired by button by, as stated, carefully bending the tabs. After careful cleaning the contacts for the past ten years has worked pretty reliably. But not always, on occasion need to open the hood and use the button on the solenoid.

Posted on: 2016/8/22 13:36
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andrew Sinclair
See User information
It appears the NOS switch is for a 1938. If your repair of your old button doesn't work, Max Merritt has the correct one listed in their catalog that matches your switch for a 1939.

Posted on: 2016/8/22 17:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Actually I opened it up and managed to shift the contacts forward about 1/16 of an inch so it now works unless I press it in all the way which passes the contacts and doesn't work. So I don't push it all the way in, I can live with that.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/8/24 16:25
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rick M
See User information
I had the same issue with my switch. I opened it up and saw that if I pushed it all the way it passed the contacts. No problem, if I push it too far I just come back about a 1/16" and the starter turns over.

Rick
'39 Super 8 (1703)

Posted on: 2016/8/25 1:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Rick, that's exactly my situation too!

Steve

Posted on: 2016/8/25 21:54
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved