Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 113

29tons, kevinpackard, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

New radiator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Anyone ever put a new aluminum radiator into a 55-56? The one in my 55 Pat just sprung a leak and there is no one in Pahrump that fixes same, so I took the radiator I had re-cored over a decade ago and was stored for use on my Panther and installed it in my Pat instead. I have decided, since it is restomod, to install a new aluminum one instead and I will probably use an attached thermostatically controlled electric fan.

The one in my Pat never overheated even in 115F stop and go traffic in Las Vegas, but repairing an old used one is a specialty thing and probably about the same $ as a new aluminum one considering S&H costs.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/8/26 11:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Re: New radiator
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't recall anyone finding a modern radiator that would drop into a Packard. IIRC, PackardV8 posted some info on a late 60s Ford truck radiator he was adapting to his Exec based on work Eric did. That radiator would fit the space with appropriate hose outlets but it needed an extra bracket or two toward the bottom. Perhaps you could find that thread from 9-10 years ago or get more details from Keith. If he was successful, maybe that radiator is available in aluminum.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 12:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
There are few radiators that interchange, as far as we know there are none for 51-6 Packards unless you want to butcher the radiator support etc.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 14:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Why does it have to be Aluminum????? I don't know, but my guess is that any Al. retro fit radiator will be cross flow.

Posted on: 2016/8/26 14:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2016/8/26 14:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Thanks for the quick responses and Keith posting of Kevin's radiator thread from 2010.

Today it's possible to get custom-fit aluminum radiator in down-flow from many reputable manufacturers. Price appears to be $500+ depending. These rads are CNC'd and TIG welded. Delivery is usually 2-3 weeks.

WRT aluminum vs copper-brass, from Griffin Radiator website FAQ:

1) Does an aluminum radiator cool better than a copper brass radiator?

An aluminum radiator does cool better than a copper brass radiator. For example, an aluminum radiator with 2 rows of 1" tubes is equivalent to a copper brass radiator with 5 rows of 1/2" tubes. Aluminum provides high efficiency, is lightweight, and has a longer life compared to copper brass.

A more detailed discussion is here:

http://www.cgj.com/2013/07/16/aluminum-vs-copper-brass-radiator-final-thoughts/

Craig

Posted on: 2016/8/26 17:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
A re-core of a '55-'56 is running 6-800 bucks these days.
Aluminum radiators are here to stay!

Posted on: 2016/8/26 22:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
79'ish ford trucck radiator on Autozone.com (NEW radiator) 3 different modelss $140 to $240. Some effort to install but not rocket science.

Why go ALuminum???? How good does the radiator HAVE to cool???

For those of u running thru the desert out west at high speeds then maybe a better radiator is needed. I don't know.

I have the ford rad (old Advance auto Parts part number 433433) in my 56 Exec since about 2008 or 2010 and some 20K or more miles.

I'm in middle Tn. Gets damned hot here.

Not sure why everyone thinks must they have somekiind of a $500 - $800 raadiator unless it will just drop right into place with no problems.

As for a recore or rebuild on any radiators manufactured after about 1955 is nothing but a waste of money and a maybe a 5 year fix at best.

Posted on: 2016/8/27 10:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PackardV8 Quote:
Why go ALuminum???? How good does the radiator HAVE to cool???

For those of u running thru the desert out west at high speeds then maybe a better radiator is needed. I don't know.

Keith,

That's it exactly. It can get to 115F here and besides stop & go traffic in Las Vegas there's a long grade to go "over the hump" from Pahrump to Las Vegas. I like a good margin of performance in everything I do.

craig

Posted on: 2016/8/27 12:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Good point Craig.

On a different note:
Assuming a fixed and constant temperature I've always wondered but never been able to verify if high humidity air cools a radiator better that low humidity air. Or maybe the difference is insignificant????

I would think that very high humidity would cool better because the moisture of the air would absorb heat and dissipate or condense or boil off faster than low humidity air.

But again, if someone knows the correct answer i won't try to argue.

Posted on: 2016/8/27 15:28
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved