Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fueling problem on '49 Custom Eight
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Has anybody else had trouble filling up the fuel tank on the '49 Custom Eight? No matter what I do, the the pump either clicks off, or, if I hold the rubber seal thing back, then the gas just overflows out the filler pipe, even though it's far from full. It takes forever to fill the tank. Is there some trick to this? Thanks.

Ron

Posted on: 2016/8/26 23:03
 Top  Print 

Re: fueling problem on '49 Custom Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Mine is slow to fill as well and the nozzle will kick off a few times while filling. It helps if I keep the flow a bit slower and juggle the position of the nozzle in the filler neck. We don't have the added complication of the vapour recovery boot here in Alberta.

Posted on: 2016/8/27 0:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Prentice, such problems are not completely uncommon today but I'd check to make sure your tank vent line is fully functional.

Posted on: 2016/8/27 7:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you hear the whistle while filling? If not (and if the whistle is still present), if the tank happened to have had one of the rust encapsulation coatings sloshed around inside it is possible the whistle part was plugged with the compound and is blocking the vent.

If that has happened there is nothing to do but have a radiator shop or the like remove the vent outlet chamber from the tank and try to clear the whistle so it can allow the air to vent. The other option is to run a flexible rod thru and try to clear the vent. Because of the angle and construction of the whistle chamber it might go thru and clear but that will destroy the whistle which was a unique part of the pre 51 cars.

Posted on: 2016/8/27 8:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I also had that problem with my 48 custom-tank coating sealed the vent. I tried all kinds of chemicals to free the small metal disk and tried to clear with part of a speedometer cable down the vent on a drill. End result was to remove the tank and drill a 1/4 inch hole through the vent tower and solder a penny over the hole. solved the problem.

Posted on: 2016/8/27 11:19

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

prentice672
See User information
Thanks for all the replies. I had removed the tank to repair the fuel sending unit and the vent tube is clear and I hear the whistle when I fuel it. I do notice that the angle between the filler neck and the tank is a bit shallower than in my '50 Ford, perhaps that has an influence? Anyway, judging from the replies I guess I just have to fill it up slowly.

Posted on: 2016/8/28 8:00
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
The filler neck extends into the tank to within about 1/2 inch from the bottom, this forces all of the air to escape thru the whistle/vent, none can come out the fill tube. It is slower then the average tank to fill.
John

Posted on: 2016/8/28 11:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
I've noticed that the gas pump makes a big difference too. Ones that pump just liquid work faster as it's more dense (heavier) but some seem to aerate the gasoline and it goes in almost like a foam. With the light density it just quickly fills the filler tube and trips the shutoff.

Posted on: 2016/9/5 12:39
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved