Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 200

Dennis Miller, Ross, portlandon, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'54 Convertible Winshield Wiper Pivot Assembly /Windshield Replacement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
I am having the windshield removed/resealed later this week. In preparation I removed the windshield wipers and loosened the pivot assemblies per the manual by removing the bolt and winged bracket under the cowl. This loosened the pivots but not by much. I am not sure this has created enough clearance to remove and reinstall the windshield. What am I missing?

Posted on: 2016/8/29 18:21
 Top  Print   

Re: '54 Convertible Winshield Wiper Pivot Assembly /Windshield Replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if the windshield can tip out at the top to lift up and clear the pivots or not. If it cannot and you need to have more clearance from the pivots you can gain more by working under the dash.

You probably still have tension on the cables due to the spring in the tensioner moving the pulleys and keeping the cables taught as you loosened the pivots. The tensioners are spring loaded and it may be necessary to manually move the pulleys to loosen cables and then block the tensioners to keep tension off. The procedure is in the instrument section XIII of SM. If the tensioners are the same spring loaded items used in 55-6 there are some photos of those in section 13 of the 55-6 SM. Note that it is a HEAVY spring and the pulleys can have sharp edges. Use a rag to protect your hand and it may even take something like pliers or channel locks to grab the pulley section to turn it against the spring. A nail works for the locking pin.

Note that when you block the tensioners there will be no tension on the cables so depending on the type of drive connection you have in the center the cables can come off the mechanism. If they are not screwed on, it would be a good idea to tape the cables to the center mechanism or at least identify which cable goes where before removing tension on them.

Also, if you elect not to block the tensioners be aware that loosening the pivots and allowing the cable slack to be taken up may result in tension being too tight when everything is tightened down again. The locking or ratchet portion of the tensioner will not allow it to slip back to normal when you reinstall the pivots so take care cables are not too tight. If they are the wiper drive will be under great stress and something could break.

Posted on: 2016/8/29 18:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: '54 Convertible Winshield Wiper Pivot Assembly /Windshield Replacement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
The windshield replacement guys came out this morning. The windshield can be and was tipped out at the top and then lifted to clear the wiper pivots which only had been loosened by removing the bolts and brackets on the backside of the cowl. There was no need to monkey with the cables and tensioners.

Posted on: 2016/9/1 14:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved