Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 90

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Convertible top Vendor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Looking for input on vendors that reproduce Convertible tops and side curtains for all models.

Lots of tops to replace :)

Posted on: 2016/8/30 17:58
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Re: Convertible top Vendor
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Talk to Flack, he is an expert on convertible tops now! :)

Posted on: 2016/8/30 18:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
David is an expert on prewar and postwar convertible tops?

Posted on: 2016/8/30 19:32
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
It's an inside joke with everything he went through with the top on his car.

Posted on: 2016/8/30 19:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
ha, Dave told me. hahaha. I wanted to see if their was a shop already making to order.

I have an outstanding Upholster who turns my complete car from scratch leather in 4 weeks. This kid is good. I will just turn him loose on the pasterns I have.

Posted on: 2016/8/30 21:02
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

TroyT wrote:
Looking for input on vendors that reproduce Convertible tops and side curtains for all models.

Lots of tops to replace :)

Big vendors today are usually not going to get involved in what they view as individual custom work. Most these companies now are geared toward volume production.

If you are doing a prewar car with side curtains, it is best to find a very good trim shop with talented staff. Then either find original pieces (not always good due to shrinkage, etc.) or good existing patterns (better if they are factory patterns). Then have your trimmer use these as a guide.

Some postwar tops can still be ordered from vendor companies, but this business is shrinking.

Many of the old vendors for ready-made convertible tops and for the fabrics have just plain disappeared or have gone out of business. The trim industry is hugely changed from what it once was.

Most convertible tops today are being made from the wrong fabrics and many details like "Hidem"strips used where "Wire-on" strips or even stainless trim should be used. These are common mistakes on rear bow trim, for instance. Wrong fasteners are often installed today that Packard would never have used. Canvas tops on Caribbeans are just not right...and abominations on V-8 Caribbeans.

I believe Eric Haartz had some fabric guidelines and other interesting vintage convertible top info posted on the Haartz site.

Robbins Auto Top Company (now located in Ventura area, California) used to do onesy-twosy orders, but I'm not sure if that is still true since they have grown so huge and are more volume oriencted now. Their work was always top notch.

I gave several of my original Packard convertible top factory patterns to Acme Auto Headlining Company in Long Beach, California well back in the 1970s. They made lots of convertible tops sold nationwide too. No idea if they still have the old patterns today, but they once had stacks of them.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 15:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Haartz is a good one. I used them on my replacement top for my BMW Z3. perfect fit and replication.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 15:57
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved