Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Packard 110 - Starter Motor Lubrication
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
The lubrication diagram says there are two oilers on the starter but I can only find one at the end facing the front of the car (see pic).

Where is the second one?

It calls for SAE -30 -- Does 3-in-1 oil work? I have heard that is a 30 weight.

Also, how much to pour in? A couple of drops? Or fill to the top of the hole?

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (344.68 KB)
17746_57e41bb616cd7.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2016/9/22 12:58
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 110 - Starter Motor Lubrication
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I wonder if the lube chart is a sort of generic made for all models and maybe is not totally accurate in small details for some cars. Maybe it was worst case. The 356 engines used the gear reduction starter and those have two oilers.

Looking at some Delco info they only show one oiler on starters similar to yours. They do show the two oilers on the reduction types. On yours I think there is only the bushing/bearing at the end cap which gets oil and a bushing at the other end of pinion inside the flywheel space. That bushing might be the oilite kind or permanently greased as they don't expect the flywheel cover be opened.

Only use a couple of drops. If you put in too much, excess oil will get inside and mess up the commutator and brushes. I don't believe 3 in 1 is 30 weight but rather more like 10wt or thinner. It is typically used for very light machinery but would be better than nothing.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 13:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 110 - Starter Motor Lubrication
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Thank you, Howard! Much appreciated.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 13:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved