Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'50 8 Manifold Pressure?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

50Cal
See User information
I have been unable to find what the intake manifold pressure should be on for these '49 and '50 8's. A test kit manual generally states for most cars it should be in the mid-20's range. Can someone please steer me to the correct information or what I should expect to see?

Posted on: 2016/9/23 15:56
 Top  Print 

Re: '50 8 Manifold Pressure?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The intake manifold is not under pressure but rather under vacuum. Engines of this type in good mechanical condition and properly tuned should give 18 - 20 inches of vacuum at warm idle.

Posted on: 2016/9/23 17:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
FYI - technically, vacuum is pressure.
We refer to gauge pressure (psig) as above atmospheric. Where as absolute pressure (psia) is measured from full vacuum, P=0 psia.
"Vacuum" is fractional atmospheric pressure = 14.7 psia, 29.92 inches Hg, 0 psig, 33' H2O.
Eg, 5 psia = 20 inches of "vacuum" = 10 inches of Hg = -9.7 psig.
It just depends where measured from, i.e. relative measurement.
We use common terms, "vacuum" & "pressure" to conveniently distinguish above/below atmospheric but it's all pressure.

Posted on: 2016/9/24 19:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Yup, piston aircraft with controllable pitch props use manifold pressure to measure power settings. About 29-30" is standard at sea level, down to as low as 10" at idle with good cylinder compressions, if turbocharged then somewhere in the 30's to 40" or so for normal full throttle. Just depends on what power setting you're trying to measure as to what numbers you want to see.

Posted on: 2016/9/24 21:07
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved