Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
66 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 66

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tail Light Badges
Just popping in
Just popping in

Spezgoots
See User information
Hello all! I was wondering and serching both the forums here and the general internet on how to remove the badges on the 55-56 Senior tail lights. Specifically, i have a nice new set of gold "V"'s for my 55 Patrician and would like to jnstall them, hopefully without having to remove the tail light assembly? Anky help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Attach file:

jpg  (100.60 KB)
62550_57e863d9d36f0.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (125.04 KB)
62550_57e86402d25bd.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/9/25 18:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Tail Light Badges
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I can't think of any way to remove the "V" or the hexagon without removing the taillight assembly. I removed my 56 taillights and disassembled them to have them rechromed.

Posted on: 2016/9/25 22:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Spezgoots
See User information
Thanks for the response Randy! I saw pictures of the rear of the tail light assembly and didnt see any screws or nuts holding the badges on from the rear so my thought was it could br removed from the front.

Posted on: 2016/9/27 18:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The emblems are most likely held on with speednuts. Packard was very fond of these two types -- the rectangular (sometimes they are circular) push on flat variety and the tubular type. If you need new ones Restoration Specialty has them for various diameter studs. No idea what size the emblems use.

If Randy says the light has to be removed it most likely has a thru hole and uses the flat type. Those can sometimes be a pain to remove but I have had good luck with a small screwdriver slipped under the tangs to bend them away to release from the stud. If they are deeply recessed and a screwdriver won't work well due to the angle, a scribe tool with a 90 degree bend also works to get under the tang and lift it away.

Tubular types are used in places where there is no rear access. Those are also a pain and there is no way I know of to pre-release the tangs on them. Fortunately, unlike the flat type, the tangs on the tubulars are generally very small and usually will give with some pressure but that is not a given.

One thing to be very careful about is prying on the emblems and trying to pull the studs out of a tight retainer without trying to release the tangs. The studs are pot metal and are delicate. Particularly if the flat type is used they won't take a lot of pulling stress without breaking off the emblem.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.96 KB)
209_57eb171ee3891.jpg 296X600 px

Posted on: 2016/9/27 20:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Spezgoots
See User information
After some visual recon at Hershey, I can definitely tell they are held on by speed nuts. Now my next question would be do you need to remove the bumper ends in order to remove the tail light assembly?

Posted on: 2016/10/7 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Depends on how the rear bumper assb is adjusted or if it has been hit in the rear. One bumper iron bolt on each side is eccentric. it brings the rear of the assembly up or down.

Try the adjustments to see if there's clearance

See shop manual

Posted on: 2016/10/7 13:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have removed the tail-light assembly without removing the bumper. Trust me, it is easier to remove the bumper. The extra time required is minimal and it can be done by one person. Be careful removing the speed nuts so that you don't break the die-cast pins to which they are attached. Also be careful that there may be some type of fastener on one of the top screws that hold the tail-light casting in place.

Posted on: 2016/10/7 14:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved