Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
31 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 31

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

I am shocked I can not find this info on this fine site??
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mike
See User information
Dear Packard Owners. I admit I'm new to this site. I want to know who is competent to tune up, lubricate, and generally maintain a pre-war car. I own a 41 Chevrolet, and have been studying Packard History. Buying a 35 to 41 is one thing but properly caring for the car is more important to me. I would purchase a car that is in GOOD condition. I live near Torrance/Redondo beach area. I understand auto mechanics, but I need to have backup for things that I am no longer able to do myself. I know recommendations have to be taken with a grain of salt but your opinions I would value. Thank you Mike Vet. 67-69 VN

Posted on: 2016/9/25 22:54
 Top  Print 

Re: I am shocked I can not find this info on this fine site??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might check with Custom Auto in Santa Ana. Unless they have changed their focus they have also done routine repair and service on Packards for many years. If they have changed focus to restorations only perhaps they can offer a recommendation for someone to do the routine stuff a few minutes closer to you.http://www.customautoservice.com

Posted on: 2016/9/25 23:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
It's sort of unreasonable to expect to find a listing of "local" repair/maintenance places in every area of the US. Keokuk Iowa, Truth or Consequences New Mexico, Dallas Penn sylvania, Jersey Shore Pennsylvania, Wassilla Alaska??

The work you want done is very basic and compared to today's cars your vehicle is very basic. No special tools are needed, common hand tools will do just fine. Just find a mechanic who doesn't need a computer to diagnose a car.

Posted on: 2016/9/26 10:53
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
Fred, finding a mechanic who doesn't need a computer to diagnose a car. That is a problem in my neck of the woods.After studying Packardinfo for hours and printing out a very detailed book of information on my car, they still will not read it. I also gave them the web page information. This is my regular shop so I am not going to give up on them yet. I will see how the next visit goes.

Posted on: 2016/9/26 13:51
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Fred, finding a mechanic who doesn't need a computer to diagnose a car.

Same here. I am also trying to find someone good who is reasonably close. Aside from being lucky with the same upholstery guy who was young and just starting out when he did my other cars 25+ years ago, other trades and mechanics I knew then have moved to their next lifetime or had the good sense to retire. So many of todays people are totally lost without the computer and have never heard of a Packard -- much less want to work on one.

I grew up in Truth or Consequences and while I don't know what is there now, even then there were not that many good mechanics available. I did know a couple of them and one I sure wish was still around. There was one guy who could have given Gus from the Model Garage a run for his money.

Posted on: 2016/9/26 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...While I am lucky and Advanced Automotive in Scottsdale, Arizona. Alex Alfaro will work on almost any machine back to the Model T. I would suggest that you go on Cars.Com as the car guys have Mechanics files set up by State and City. A few phone calls or e-mails might be an easy way to locate a shop that has 'Old Guys' or one that does older and classic cars, or even hot rods. Just a thought. Ernie, caretaker of the 1949 288 'Miss Prudence'

Posted on: 2016/9/26 14:34
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
What I was responding to was the original post that said he was "shocked" not to find a listing of competent mechanics in his (every??) area on packardinfo.com

Posted on: 2016/9/26 14:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
It would be a great idea for Big Kev to add a page much like the cross Reference page where we can add our services for those in our area to find us more easily.

Most know we're here but lets make it easier for those that don't.

T

Posted on: 2016/9/26 16:35
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
Finding a good mechanic is hard, no matter what. The only good way to do it is via word of mouth. I sympathize with Mike because there aren't many options when it comes to shops who'll deal with older cars correctly. Most of us do our own basic maintenance for that reason.

True, almost anybody with some sense can do a lube, oil, and filter change, but when it comes to slightly more complicated (though still simple by today's standards) maintenance tasks, it's harder to find someone who A) will do the job correctly, and B) won't charge through the nose to do it.

What you may need to find is a shade tree mechanic or a local club member to help you out. I've moonlighted lately for few local guys out here in Van Nuys when something is beyond the realm of their current capabilities. Ask around locally in the South Bay and see who the locals recommend.

I've seen some old cars at D&D Shell Service in Hawthorne, and I know there's a retired mechanic also in Hawthorne that has done some work for Studebaker Drivers Club members.

Posted on: 2016/9/27 13:28
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Mike
See User information
Thanks to all of you for such fast and helpful info. I should of stated that i live in CA. So mechanics in Idaho are of no help. I will use your tips, but the problem hurts most classic car owners. Try and find a quality 6/12 volt timing light, or a tach/dwell meter? It would seem that a shop could specialize in classic cars and their owners. I think there is money there. A very good idea from you members to start a shop repair register for guys like me. You owners know who is who in Packard.

If I find a good repair I would sure share it. Thank you Mike K CA.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 0:22
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved