Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
38 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 37

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: I am shocked I can not find this info on this fine site??
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Mike, I feel your pain. The best rec here is to join the local chapters of Packard Automobile Classics and Packards International, of which the latter's hub is Custom Auto Service in Santa Ana. I am frequently faced with trying to do 2-man jobs on my own. I've called on a couple friends to help who usually know more than I do about Packards. It is a big relief.

But regarding the younger guys who rely on computers I have to tell this story. I took The Duchess to the same shop that does my Detroit Brand X. He said Don't bring it in the shop. Too much liability. Leave it outside. I expected him to wheel out a big diagnostics machine with octopus wiring sensors and lots of dials and knobs. He came out with a lunch pail-sized box. He hooked up 1 wire, maybe 2. A bunch of items popped up on the display and he said It's your spark plug wires. That's all it was. He replaced them and the car can ran like new. I said That little box checked everything? That's AMAZING. He Yes, he said, It's small. It checks everything, but it cost $5,000.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 9:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Too much liability to bring an older car into a shop, is it also too much liability to park it in your home garage or a hotel garage?? I believe it's a lot of bunk. So back in the 50's did all Packard and other dealers do their service work outside, especially in January in Buffalo??

Sounds like he might have been affected buy a presidential debate

Posted on: 2016/9/28 10:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good morning Joe...Just for the hell of it, can you ask your mechanic what liability issue he is referring to and then post the answer on the forum. Many of us would be interested in his reasoning. Thanks, Erne...caretaker of the 1949 288 Deluxe 'Miss Prudence'.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 11:42
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe he is being extra cautious or doesn't have much insurance. A local Ford dealerships service building went up in flames a couple of years ago due to an accident with a gas tank removal in process. It took a couple of dozen customer cars with it. That probably made the headlines in more than one place so I think a lot of people could be gun shy about getting a pristine high dollar Packard like Joe's anywhere close to where it could be damaged or worse in a crowded shop.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 12:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I would strongly recommend that you join a local car club, if not a Packard Club then the VMCCA or AACA. I am a member of our local VMCCA and there are three professional mechanics in our club, one who is retired and now only works on old cars. He'll even make house calls!

Posted on: 2016/11/22 18:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved