Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What would a fuel-injected Packard have been like?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
For Gear Head Tuesday, we have posted photos of "Roscoe's" fuel-injected '56 Executive along with some fascinating factory notes about the fuel injection program:

<https://56packardman.com/2016/09/27/gear-head-tuesday-fuel-injected-56-packard/>

Attach file:

jpg  (60.36 KB)
13111_57ea898615c12.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (377.54 KB)
13111_57ea899923983.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2016/9/27 9:59
 Top  Print   

Re: What would a fuel-injected Packard have been like?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Very interesting. Thanks for also posting the link to the original article.

Of course today, one can retrofit a throttle body fuel injection setup available from many suppliers, but I don't know of anyone who's done that on a Packard.

Posted on: 2016/9/27 10:31
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks for sharing. looks like 1961 was a year of repair shop visits for this car.

I will be doing twin TBI on the constellation....but someone may beat me to it with as slow as I'm going.

Posted on: 2016/9/27 10:37
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Nice article.

I've been interested in Packard's fuel injection system(s) since I saw that B&W photo, looking down on the engine bay, many years ago - in a sidebar to a driveReport article on the 1956 Patrician, in the Sep.-Oct. 1976 Issue (#36) of SIA).

Packard clearly had ambitious plans for not only catching up, but pulling ahead of the competition.

Yet, you wrote that:

Quote:
What is often forgotten today is the Predictor show car of 1956 was fitted with a transaxle.

That's news to me. I recall reading that Packard had, indeed, been working on a transaxle, but it's been my understanding that the Predictor was built on a box-stock 56 Clipper chassis - with Twin Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2016/9/27 11:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Now what is the horsepower rating on that engine with fuel injection, and is it a 352 or 374?

Posted on: 2016/9/27 14:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Fuel injection should NOT increase horsepower per se. But there are several other benefits that modern cars see, however modern cars have computers and sensors that were not available in 1956.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/9/27 14:47
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
That set up sure looks similar to the Bendix fuel injection units that were optional on 1957 Rambler Rebels and a few Chrysler Corp cars. They differed greatly from the Rochester units on contemporary Chevys and Pontiacs which greatly outsold them.

I also have read that the Predictor was originally supposed to have a transaxle and IRS, but because of time and cost came out on a standard TL 122 inch chassis.

Posted on: 2016/9/27 15:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
"I recall reading that Packard had, indeed, been working on a transaxle, but it's been my understanding that the Predictor was built on a box-stock 56 Clipper chassis - with Twin Ultramatic."

Yes, the Predictor was built on the first '56 Clipper hardtop chassis to come down the line at Conner. It was pulled from the line prior to body drop and sent to Ghia for conversion into the show car. The transaxle was part of the conversion. I'll look for the documentation on that ...

Posted on: 2016/9/27 17:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
"Of course today, one can retrofit a throttle body fuel injection setup available from many suppliers, but I don't know of anyone who's done that on a Packard."

What is fitted to Roscoe's car is one of the prototype units from 1956 rather than a modern adaptation.

Posted on: 2016/9/27 17:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
"That set up sure looks similar to the Bendix fuel injection units that were optional on 1957 Rambler Rebels and a few Chrysler Corp cars. They differed greatly from the Rochester units on contemporary Chevys and Pontiacs which greatly outsold them."

I asked Roscoe if it is a Bendix unit. He isn't sure and offered the possibility that it might be from another vendor. He wrote that Packard was looking at vendors other than Bendix for the MFI.

Posted on: 2016/9/27 17:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved