Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'55 Wipper switch removal, clean & lube
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Looking in the book here, did a search.
Help?

Posted on: 2016/9/28 18:50
 Top  Print 

Re: '55 Wipper switch removal, clean & lube
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The switch itself does not really come apart for service. The cable and rack is part of the casting but the speed sweep valve might benefit with a dab of oil or grease. I don't know if there is anything to service in the end where the washer electrical contact is located. When the knob is pushed I believe all that happens is the shaft makes contact with the terminal to ground the washer solenoid.

To take the assy out start by removing the knob by placing a small screwdriver blade in the notch at the base. Push the blade in against the spring retainer as you pull the knob off the shaft. The speed sweep lever is next and it just pulls out. There is a spring partially in the lever and a small washer so be sure not to lose either as you pull the sweep lever off. After the lever is off you will see a nut. Remove the nut and bezel and the switch will pull out of the dash from the back.

There are two hoses on the switch so when you remove them take note of which port each is attached to. If they are wrong there will be a constant hissing noise if the lever is in a certain position. If you have that issue just reverse the hoses at the switch or in the engine compt.

Also when you remove the cable from the motor, if there is a washer coordinator take note of the cable wire end and the washer arrangement. The washer has to be able to pull the pot metal slide attached to coordinator back when you turn the wiper off. The coordinator body is on two slide arrangements and its cable also has a washer. The pot metal end slide in the motor casting and the bracket the coordinator body slides in could use some lube. If you remove the coordinator assy, its cable has to be pulled out against a heavy spring inside the coordinator while you put the washer back in the correct position in the plastic motor valve slide.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.17 KB)
209_57ec611368c84.jpg 600X600 px

jpg  (50.30 KB)
209_57ec625703ae3.jpg 1280X375 px

jpg  (51.09 KB)
209_57ec626516d79.jpg 708X479 px

Posted on: 2016/9/28 19:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
kudos to you HH. wouldn't be packardinfo without you! very informative!

Posted on: 2016/9/28 20:04
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Thank You kindly '56.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 20:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Yes, thank you again Howard!
Best detailed Packard information I've seen.
Don't leave us, we need you.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 22:57
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Just put things back together after lubing the cable and the little "rack & pinion" that extends & retracts said cable.
My old trick to lube these cables is to gently stretch the sheath and dribble some lube on it-in this case I used graphite lube. It soaks right up and worka like magic :)

Attach file:

jpg  (266.63 KB)
15023_57f92dc8cd57d.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2016/10/8 12:33
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
Thanks Howard! This explains the hissing noise on my wiper switch and the loose hose I found under the dash. I'll try to reconnect the loose hose.

-Ken

Posted on: 2017/8/21 18:08
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved