Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 70

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Packard 110 - Idle Surge Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
My car starts up, runs and idles great and just "feels" like the motor is working just right. I'm getting 12-14 mpg on average, power and acceleration are all excellent.

The one issue I have periodically is, after driving for an extended while at speed in hi gear (45+ mph), upon stopping at a light and shifting back to neutral, the idle will surge up and down to the point where the engine will often quit. If I catch it in time, I can apply a quick burst of throttle and "clear it out" and it resumes it's normal idle and runs just fine again.

What could cause such an issue? I hesitate to mess with a carb that is set to deliver the great results I described in all but that one situation.

I am using non-ethanol gas with Stabil added to each tank.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 19:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 110 - Idle Surge Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
It reads like you may have worn linkage which will cause the idle to be too fast or too slow depending on where it binds.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/10/2 11:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
A throttle linkage? How much play/slop is there supposed to be in all those bellcranks and connections?

Posted on: 2016/10/10 14:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ideally, none. The more slop, the more prone to erratic idle speed.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/10/10 14:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Uh, I wouldn't call 12-14 on a 110 excellent results. Plus your surge at idle sounds like the car is running far too rich. I surmise the float level is set too high, or the needle valve is not able to hold back the gas when the car is only idling. i.e. the level in the bowl keeps increasing till it starts to spill out into the carb throat.

Posted on: 2016/10/10 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Pull a spark plug and examine it. If the car is running way to rich it will be a sooty. This assumes that it is not also burning a lot of oil, in which case it would be oily and you would be able to tell.

An easy test that should take less than 5 minutes to perform.

Posted on: 2016/10/11 15:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Bartrom
See User information
If the throttle return spring is connected close to the carb sloppy linkage is not likely to be your issue. In addition to the carb adjustments I would look for a vacuum leak around the carb to manifold or manifold to block. This may only show up after a good warm up. The easiest way to find a vacuum leak is warm it up... Spray starter fluid all around the intake manifold gaskets. If there is a leak your engine will rev up.

Posted on: 2016/10/11 16:21
1930 boat tail speedster
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved