Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 126

Daniel Leininger, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Packard 110 - Fluid Change Intervals
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
So I've been following the manual and changing fluids on the recommended schedule (oil once/yr or at 1,000 miles). Tranny gets SAE140 from June-Oct and SAE90 the rest of the year.

What about the diff? Does that really need to be changed out each year? As I'm using modern oil (Valvoline 85W90 EP rated gear oil) is an annual change necessary or wasteful? You don't hear of modern rear axles oil ever being changed so is it the case here that the modern Valvoline is "good enough" to last for years back there as it does in modern cars?

What do you guys do?

Posted on: 2016/9/28 19:38
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 110 - Fluid Change Intervals
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
In the old days gear oils would thicken greatly with use which is why they said to change them in the fall so that they weren't like margarine by the time February rolled around. Occasionally I will get in something that has been inactive since the seventies or so and the gear lubes will come out like tar.
The modern oils don't do that and seem to hold their viscosity pretty much indefinitely. At this point I am doing something on the order of 40,000 miles or ten years on my cars. These gearboxes and axles are all broken in and not shedding metal unless they are already on the edge of failure.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 6:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've used SAE85W-140 extreme pressure gear oil in pre- and postwar differentials for decades. I typically change it every 7-10 years which probably equates to 10,000 miles or so and I suspect even that change interval is overly conservative but I'm just guided by the fact that fresh clean lubricant is inexpensive.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Thanks, good to know!

Posted on: 2016/10/10 14:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved