Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 67

West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Distributor info
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I am trying to replace the distributor on my '39 Six. I have looked and cannot find any numbers to identify make OR model. There are a couple of rivet heads where an ident. tag USED to be. As far as I can gather, the two choices are Autolite or Delco-Remy, with different models of each being used. I have tried ordering points, rotor and condenser via the crossover guide on this site from my local NAPA store, but what arrives doesn't look even remotely close to what I am trying to replace. Does anyone know a sure-fire way to ascertain brand and model?? I can post pictures if that would help. Thanks to any who have info and are willing to share.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 19:38
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Re: Distributor info
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know if this is any help but here is an illustration from the service manual.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.82 KB)
209_57ec67305dd64.jpg 884X964 px

Posted on: 2016/9/28 19:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Auto Light Distributor IGS-4013 or 4201

Points IGP3028LS
Condenser IG-2671K
Cap IGC-1107S
Rotor IGS1016

Delco-Remy 1110203

Points 1867681
Condenser 1869704
Cap 824735
Rotor 820445

Posted on: 2016/9/28 20:04
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Howard... one quick question; it looks like from the drawing, that I have an Autolite unit. Re the reference to '4013' & '4201', is there any difference between the two that would make ordering parts significant? Any easy way to tell the difference between the two?

Chris

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thank you Troy for taking the time. The rotor that was on the distributor when I bought the car, had no markings. It was however, 'stripped', if you will, in that it would turn either way on the shaft a good 30 degrees. I couldn't figure out how it could even run like that, but it did. A mechanic buddy came up with one from his spares inventory that looked identical and locked securely onto the shaft. It had an 'AL' number on it (I just forget what the number was and I'm not near the car right now) and I thought it reasonable that it was an Autolite number. Do you know if the '4013' and the '4201' have different guts??
Appreciate all the help from this site.
Chris

Posted on: 2016/9/29 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The complete NOS distributor in the Classified Ads of my site is the IGS-4201, which has points, rotor and cap so perhaps the photos of it would help. Am currently and for a short time at my shop in case you would like any more detailed photos but unfortunately I don't have an IGS-4013 to compare. Often differences like that are things like the cam shape or perhaps a revised advance but in this case I'm not sure.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 22:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved