Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 custom eight tapping noise and vibration thru steering column.
Just popping in
Just popping in

allanpintenn
See User information
Howdy, I've got a situation where there's a tapping sound that seems to be coming thru the steering column and causing a vibration in the gear shift lever. Its not severe and doesn't seem to affect the operation of the car. Ive put my ear to the clutch pedal and it seems to magnify the noise. I was wondering if there might be something loose in the flywheel or shifter linkage. The noise seems to lessen on acceleration. The car runs smoothly and and goes thru the gears fine but the gear shift lever still has a vibration. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Attach file:

jpg  (164.81 KB)
141996_57ee7e780a5b1.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2016/9/30 10:02
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 custom eight tapping noise and vibration thru steering column.
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
In looking stuff up on the pictured car, that appears to be an Eight (282). It's not a Custom Eight (356)

Posted on: 2016/9/30 10:53
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

allanpintenn
See User information
You are absolutely right its a 288.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 11:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is it a definite tapping or tick tick tick sound or is it more like a buzzing noise. Does the shift lever vibrate or is the noise present when the car is sitting and idling? If so, have you looked at the engine to see if you can see any perceptible movement such as it twisting or rocking a tiny bit? The way the linkage is configured any rocking motion in the engine is transmitted to the lever as an up and down movement.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 11:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

allanpintenn
See User information
I haven't had a chance to do a further analysis since moving it to another garage. Hope to play with it today. I guess you could call it a tick or clicking noise and it does occur while the car is at idle. It does seem to coming from under the car somewhere around the lower part of the firewall or trans tunnel. Goes away on excelleration. Car shifts smoothly pulls strong but at idle there did seem to be some vibration of the motor. Motor or trans mounts maybe? Like said though I put me ear to the clutch pedal while at idle and it really magnified the sound..I know that's not conventional mechanics diagnostics but sure was noisy.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 8:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the engine is moving or shaking perhaps there is some metal to metal contact and the touching or shifting between them is transmitted as a ticking sound.

On the clutch linkage, there are a couple of springs that could contribute to a tick noise if missing. A long spring should be present between the end of the clutch fork and a bracket near the steering box. It provides tension to retract the throwout bearing and also keep the fork tight against the remaining linkage. If that is missing, there could be some shifting allowing the bearing to get close to pressure plate and possibly make some noise. The spring is visible from the outside so relatively easy to check.

There is a small spring inside the flywheel housing between the side of the throwout bearing sleeve and a pin inserted into the rear of bellhousing. Its purpose is to help pull the throwout bearing away from the pressure plate when the clutch is released and to keep the bearing sleeve and clutch fork in close contact with each other to prevent any lost motion or rattling. That spring is not visible from the outside and would require the lower flywheel housing to be removed to check. Probably best left until everything else is eliminated.

If the noise is more of a buzzing sound there are some rubber bushings on the shift rod inside the shift tube which are supposed to keep the shift rod from vibrating. Those bushings can get hard or deteriorate and fall apart. There is a wire like spring under the steering wheel which goes between the end of the shift tube and the column. Its purpose is to put tension against the shift tube to prevent side to side motion at the upper support and eliminate vibration or buzzing.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 9:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

allanpintenn
See User information
Thank you very much for giving me some clues on where to start looking. Ive got a frend here who has a lift. Maybe I can get it up in the air this week for a good look. My old bones are gettin harder and harder to crawl under on cold concrete. I will though if I have to. Im 73 but age has not dampened my love old cars.

Attach file:

jpg  (158.12 KB)
141996_57f11cf6b93fa.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2016/10/2 9:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day allanpintenn,

to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '49 Eight Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 21:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved