Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

BigKev, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Pump Issue ?????
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
My 41 has been parked for a few months as I was re-doing the interior. I noticed today when I went to start it would only start by priming the carb and then quite running. My guess is that the fuel pump has given up but I guess it could be trash in the fuel tank, just not sure. Perhaps the fuel pump diaphragm is bad. Any other ideas?

Posted on: 2016/9/30 15:42
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel Pump Issue ?????
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
You don't fix anything by guessing and throwing money and parts at it. First you must diagnose the problem. From your info it is not possble to do so.

If the car keeps running after it is primed then the FP is fine, if it does not then it may be bad.
2. Is the choke closed when cold?? If not, fix it
3. Does gas squirt into the carb throat when the accel is pumped. If not the accelerator pump/circuit is faulty

Posted on: 2016/9/30 15:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any number of possibilities so it will be a matter of going down the line and finding the failure.

Could be the pump and if it has the old rubber and you are using ethanol gas a good possibility. If you have a ceramic filter and fuel evaporated in the sediment bowl that element could be clogged. Another possibility is a pin hole developed in the fuel line and pump is sucking air along with fuel.

The carb itself could have an issue and as you mentioned, the gas tank could be clogged too. While it doesn't usually happen from sitting, if the flex line between the line and pump is old and hard or is the old rubber that could also have collapsed and is blocking fuel.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 15:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I'm not going to just start replacing items, I can prime the carb and it starts every time but will not continue to run. The glass bowl is not filling up with gas as usuaI which tells me that fuel is not reaching the carb. I will first see if I can draw fuel from the tank with no obstruction, if so then I will look to the fuel pump and the hoses. Does anyone have a suggestion or opinion about an inline electric pump and if One is used does the mechanical pump need any modification.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 20:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are a few posts on a 6v electric pumphttp://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=181885&

With the delivery issue, if there is any question about the condition of the mechanical pump -- particularly the diaphragm -- I would make sure it is in good condition before running the electric pump pressure thru it. If the diaphragm has a weak spot it could give out prematurely and let the electric pump dump gas into the crankcase.

If the mechanical pump is good, mounting a solenoid type electric pump inline near the tank or on the frame rail toward the rear and controlling it with an on/off switch will be the simplest and best location. With the switch you can use the electric to prime and then turn it off when the engine starts. Another benefit of being in the rear is you will be able to turn it on and pressurize the suction side of fuel line for the added benefit of helping any vapor lock condition.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 20:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you for your reply. Tomorrow if I discover it's the pump then I think I will just replace it. I do however like what you said about locating an electric at the rear of the car. I have only used non-ethanol gas from the first day I purchased the car but can say what the previous owner ran in the tank.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 20:53
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved