Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 145

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to rate car's condition
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mfowler
See User information
I think we are all familiar with the #1-#6 rating system, but cars I see rarely fit into such neat categories.
I am looking at a '49 Super Delux, Overdrive. Complete car, engine runs and drives, but needs everything. Could be driven "as-is" , but I wouldn't until replacing the entire brake system. Is this still a solid #5, or would you rate it closer to a # 4 1/2? Seller wants $3000 and will deliver it ( about 100 miles) to my location.
What do you all think?

Posted on: 2016/10/10 6:13
 Top  Print 

Re: How to rate car's condition
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
In between class 4 and 5 condition. If it is absolutely not usable as-is, it would be class 5 condition without doubt.

Posted on: 2016/10/10 7:48
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote from post #1 above:
" but cars I see rarely fit into
such neat categories."

Forget that "classification" bullshit.
FIRST AND FOREMOST: Look at the odometer and then inspect the rest of the car for evidence of how true or false the odoo reading is or even if the odod can be trusted or not.

The lowere the mileage of a car the better.

Everything else falls apart or hangs together from there.

Posted on: 2016/10/10 10:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
CAAAR uses a ten point system and has a detailed description for each.
http://www.caaarguide.com/id1.html

Posted on: 2016/10/11 19:52
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mfowler
See User information
Thanks to all. Now, I just need to finish the garage (drywall, paint, heat) and the other project ahead of the Packard......time, time time.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 13:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
The good ol 1-6 gig is a guide at best. Some will show a #1 car (a real one) as a #2 just because it's not dressed right to the tire treads and on display at Pebble Beach. Or that a car that was restored more than 5 years ago, regardless of lacking any damage or wear, has to be classified #2. That aside, the next owner of the car should decide what the real condition is. To me, no rust holes, complete interior that doesn't smell of vermin fecal matter and urine, isn't caked with mildew, chrome will turn "bright" with a minor cleaning and polish, engine fires up on demand and holds good oil pressure, never overheats, all the parts are still in place under the hood, it sits up straight and doesn't lean to one side or front to back with excess. The paint is at least all one color and might even shine a bit given a day of soft cloth polishing or gentle wheeling. All the glass is clear and devoid of cracks, but it might show a few bubbles at the edge here and there. Nothing is missing and the instrument panel is also functional. To me that's a solid #3 car. You save years looking for parts, has a bunch of "free" panel replacement done (because it doesn't need it!). You can show up with pride because it's been a well preserved variant with wear only time can cause. Start adding rust holes, "Flintstone" floorboards, missing parts, #4 comes up fast. What the car truly NEEDS is only what the next owner wants to do. I have a 39 Ford Tudor with original paint. Some would say it needs paint, some not, I'm in the "not" line myself. Have a 47 Super Clipper that's the same. A scratch here n there, a couple stains in the metallic green, so what? It shines, it's all one color, it's nothing at all to be ashamed of, in fact with the right talent it could even be touched up with some lacquer. That beats a 5 figure strip and refinish with a bat, no? I call my Packard a 2, but that's also because the chrome is awesome and it has a complete new wool interior. My Ford, well it might be a solid 2 even with the original paint over most of it. It's getting a complete new interior, has a fresh engine, new harness going in and more. All the mechanicals are done too. So you see, only you can decide what's right for you. I like a little age or even an all original car, but I do restoration for a living so #1 is common, maybe I'm even a little bored with it. Make sense? Helpful?

Posted on: 2016/10/15 14:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I have a simple method if its what you want its number 1 if not wait until you see the one you like. Old cars are like old people some parts are nice but still old. Its a hobby which cost money can make you mad or happy depending on day.

Posted on: 2016/10/15 17:20
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved