Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1954 Convertible Steering Wheel Question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
How are the chrome pieces on the arms of the steering wheel attached? I want to have them rechromed and don't want to break them taking them off. Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/10/10 11:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 1954 Convertible Steering Wheel Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
They have two pins on the back that go into little spring clips that are pressed into the wheel. Just gently pry the grip off the wheel. They will come easily, and the little spring clips will come with them. I always just glue the grip in place when replacing.

Posted on: 2016/10/10 11:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The plastic has two holes drilled into it per side. Tubular speed nuts similar to the one in the illustration are inserted in the holes. Pins on the potmetal chrome pieces then insert into the speednuts.

Some of the pieces will easily pry up by very gently working from end to end taking a small movement each time. Sometimes the speednut will come out with the chrome and can be replaced, other times it takes a bit more work.

Attach file:

jpg  (6.16 KB)
209_57fbc946eacbf.jpg 224X192 px

Posted on: 2016/10/10 12:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
Thanks guys.

Posted on: 2016/10/10 13:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved