Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 76

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Recent bought 1936 Club Sedan severe overheating???
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I agree that a tubular radiator looks terrible in a car where the radiator core is in the very front or close behind the shutters. As to Hibernia not knowing anything about engines because they put a tube radiator into a formerly cellular car, what damage/effect is there on the engine?? Just what is it that Hibernia I did not understand???

Posted on: 2016/10/12 15:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
On the shutter system, yes it will overheat if it sticks closed. The shutter stat is "fail-safe", if it fails the shutters stay open. However the shutter mechanism itself can stick, on the road you just have to put a small rock or stick in it to hold it open

Posted on: 2016/10/12 15:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day PackardBill,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '36 Eight Club Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/10/12 19:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
Ha - very funny.....Fred dosnt fool me - with his statement that the shutter system on pre-war Senior Packards is "fail safe & will open if it fails ".....

C'mon...Fred...you don't fool me - I bet this is your idea of a joke - a "test" by you to smoke us out....see which of us is actually a seriously addicted Senior Packard "buff" with actual experience working on them.

You folks can bet the Kanter boys know ( almost as much as I do...! ) about the workings of pre-war Senior Packards....

For those who do not know why I am teasing Fred about his obvious mis-statement... ( .as the Kanter boys well know), pre-war Senior Packards used a "winterfront" style radiator shutter system, operated by a Sylphon thermostat-device in the radiator.

A VERY powerful spring that holds the shutters tightly closed until the water in the radiator gets warm enough to force the Sylphon's operating rod to push against the lever system that opens the shutters....if your Sylphon fails, the shutters slam shut.

A little side-note as to how over-engineered the Seniors were....even with that powerful spring holding the shutters tightly closed, their cooling systems were so over-engineered....so much excess cooling capacity...so much so that unless it is a really warm day, AND you are really "beating" on the car....it will get hot but not boil over in the event of a Sylphon failure!

Posted on: 2016/10/12 19:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
My error, my memory failed me. I guess my memory is also not "fail safe"

Posted on: 2016/10/12 20:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved