Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

38 Twelve sump in car removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, Would appreciate advice on in car removal of 1938 Twelve sump. Have removed engine trays and all attachment bolts and sump is free however it is constrained by the front oiling system. The sump RH side is heavily relieved and it appears that I have to disconnect and release the LH inner tie rod end...is that correct. I just want to clean out the sump etc. Anyone with experience in performing this task? Advice would be appreciated.

Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 5:29
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Re: 38 Twelve sump in car removal
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rhanna
See User information
I just finished removal and reinstallation of my 1939 V12 oil pan and oil pump. Yes - You are exactly correct, you must turn the front wheels all the way to the left and then drop the left hand inner tie rod, then the pan will drop down and out with no problems.

Posted on: 2016/10/19 6:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Unfortunately..this did not work with my 38 as my front engine mount must have sagged slightly ( cannot understand why after only 78 years). I was advised on the QT by a previously well known Twelve owner (PH) that you need to jack up the front end, undo the four nuts holding the steering crank to the crossmember and the crank with intact tie rod ends can be moved forward to clear the sump. It worked well where disconnecting the tie rod end did not give enough clearance. Nonetheles sincere thanks for your advice, which appeared to work for your 39 Twelve. Let's keep those Pre-War Seniors on the road. I am chasing a set of engine splash aprons for a friends 38 Twelve....any clues?
Best regards, Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2016/10/20 5:38
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Be careful if you decide to unbolt the front motor mount and jack the engine up. The fan blade may come into contact with the radiator, could follow with a radiator repair.
Please don't ask how I know this.

Posted on: 2016/10/20 21:16
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
Quote:

57pack wrote:
Be careful if you decide to unbolt the front motor mount and jack the engine up. The fan blade may come into contact with the radiator, could follow with a radiator repair.
Please don't ask how I know this.

======================================================

O.K....I'll "bite"......how do you know this ? ( I do have..shall we say..."a passing familiarity with pre-war Packard "Senior" products"....would like to know how far up you'd have to jack the motor for this to occur.......? )

Posted on: 2016/10/27 11:51
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved