Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: # 4 cylinder
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is the manifolds (intake and exh.) removed currently????

Look at the EXHAUST valves for carbon built up around the stem where it meets the guide.

If manifold is NOT removed yet then use STP GAS treatment and add some CD2 BLACK label to oil. Should clear up in about 50 to 200 miles.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 14:58
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Actualy u can test for a sticky valve while valve cover is removed.

Lift the valve up and let it back down slowly to see if it tries to stick a little bit. Then try it fast. and waatch close to see if it moves down slowww the last 1/16 inncch or so.

I have a current problem just like this one with exh valves carboning at the stem near the guide. It is a very slow operation engine. rareely driven over 30 mph AND on a daily basis for many years.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 15:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Phils38cpe, I don't know if got your problem fixed but I did find this about Valve Rotation, although this is from an airplane article it should still be relevant.

Valve Rotation

Exhaust valves are designed to rotate, and this rotation is essential to valve longevity since it helps prevent deposits from building up around the seat, stem, and guide. At a typical 2,400-rpm cruise, each exhaust valve opens and closes 1,200 times a minute, and each valve rotates once per minute.

Precise alignment of the rocker arm is essential for proper valve rotation. A poorly aligned rocker arm can wear out a valve guide within 100 hours of engine operation - and that wear can cause improper valve seating, hot spots, and valve damage or failure. Watch through the borescope as you turn the propeller by hand and pay careful attention to how the exhaust valve opens and closes. Note any "side step." The more a valve shifts sideways as it enters the seat, the more worn the valve guide is likely to be.

So for what it's worth I would say with it turning faster than the rest is a problem, how great I don't know.
But this is just my 2 cents.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/11/19 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I readjusted the valve lash on all the valves and now everything works. FYI adjusting the valves is one PAIN

Posted on: 2016/11/19 18:49
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Phils38cpe, good to hear.
Problem solved.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/11/19 20:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved