Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radiator & A/C Condenser
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
This post is from my Panther Project but would apply to any 55-56 that needs a new radiator and/or an A/C condenser. It might also apply to 51-54, but I can't speak to that.

Thanks to Keith (PackardV8) for the XREF of the Ford (68 Bronco) aftermarket radiator (#433433 from CarQuest for $144+). I mounted mine somewhat different than him, but YMMV.

The condenser is from Vintage Air and is their "Superflow Monster" condenser (VTA-037030-OVR from Summit.com for $180+) which is appropriate for here in S. NV where temps can reach 115F in the summertime.

Pictures of modifications to the core support and mounting both follow. Actual installation will have to wait until I get the body parts painted and installed.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/10/18 14:59
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Radiator & A/C Condenser
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The width of the condenser was the driving factor. It is 1-1/2" wider than the Packard or Ford radiator, so this required modifying the core support.

The components: D-side left and the top cross brace has been removed by cutting with a pneumatic cut-off tool. The top of the P-side end has been cut off because of widening the distance between the core support legs by 1-1/2". A shortened end will be welded on later when the fenders are installed. The tubular angle bar has also been removed and will not be used. This modification was ONLY done because the condenser is wider than the opening. If only doing a radiator swap, this is NOT required.

Resized Image

This pic shows the difference in width between a stock core support and the modified one.

Resized Image

This pic shows the cross brace reattached to the core support legs with bolts & nuts. I decided to do this because if the engine ever needs to be removed (knock on wood), a removable cross brace makes removal easier. D-side is shown, P-side is similar.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/10/18 15:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The condenser mounting:

Resized Image

The radiator mounted to above as an assembly:

Resized Image

The important dimension is from the bottom of the radiator tank to the bottom of the support legs. On my 55 Pat, this was 6-1/4", so that's what I used for Panther.

The upper tank inlet on the Ford is somewhat on the P-side rather than in the middle like the stock radiator. I am also using a specialty thermostat housing with a temperature gauge tube-type sender, so I'll wait until final assembly to figure out the exact hose configuation. A stock lower hose should work however.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/10/18 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Neat job, I'm sure many here will find it helpful.

Thinking out loud (so to speak): I notice AC condensers are always mounted at the lower end of the radiator. It seems to me it would make more sense to mount them on the upper end. My thinking is that the hot air from the condenser would blow across the top part of the radiator where the hot coolant first starts its cooling trip. This would give the chance for the condenser heated coolant to flow through the radiator before going back into the engine. With the condenser in the lower position, the cooled coolant is reheated with the hot air from the condenser. I'm sure the engineers have determined the lower position is better, but I wonder why that is. The same thinking goes for oil coolers too. Mount them all up high.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/10/18 16:21
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
JW Quote:
I notice AC condensers are always mounted at the lower end of the radiator. It seems to me it would make more sense to mount them on the upper end.

In this case, the condenser is mounted at the upper end of the radiator, but there really wasn't much choice of either. This side view of the condenser on the support illustrates (top of support & hence the radiator is shown at the bottom of the picture):

Resized Image

Posted on: 2016/10/18 18:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2016/10/18 19:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I just looked at my upper hose. still has tag on it.
NUmber is 71954CS. Bought it autozone. Not sure what make/model/year it fits. I'll check my book tomorrow.

Posted on: 2016/10/18 19:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Going to put this here..

Since I am taking heads off..here is alternator bracket..

Attach file:

jpg  (274.13 KB)
4498_5ba073ede5943.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (229.05 KB)
4498_5ba0740292acc.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (310.84 KB)
4498_5ba074152a4cd.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2018/9/17 22:43
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved