Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 137

markbw, Don B, Dbedsole, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1940 282 has a starting problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bob,
for including your '40 One-Twenty Convertible Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry. Love to see a photo of it.

Posted on: 2016/10/19 18:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
I just installed all new original points after getting rid of electronic ignition, so there is a condenser. I really think you hit on the problem. Some component is robbing the spark plugs. If I can get it to start as easy as a roll off, I 'll have a new car, since I have replaced almost every other thing.

I'll keep you informed after we do the tests.

Thanks again,

Bob

Posted on: 2016/10/19 21:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Several have had issues with NOS points and other contacts that have been on the shelf for years. They can develop an oxidation or high resistance coating on the contact surfaces.

It may not help but certainly would not hurt to get a contact burnishing tool or else use some thin rough feeling cardboard or a fold of heavy paper on the surfaces. Place the tool or cardboard between the points and hold them together with some gentle pressure as you pull the tool or material thru. Don't use sandpaper as that can leave grit on the surfaces.

You can get an idea if there is excess resistance by measuring the voltage at the coil or distributor terminal. With key on, clean points and a good ground from distributor to block, when the points are closed the voltage measured between the terminal and ground should be very close to 0 volts.

Posted on: 2016/10/19 22:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can we assume you have proper size battery cables (at least 1 gauge and preferably 0 gauge) and that the connections especially the ground connection to the frame are clean and tight?

Posted on: 2016/10/20 7:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Another clue, 6V electronic ignition is very sensitive to low voltage. If the battery is low or if there is much voltage drop due to the starter drawing too much or poor connections then a 6V electronic ignition may not work.

Posted on: 2016/10/20 8:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Fred's right on.

Most don't realize that in the primary ignition circuit there are 16-18 connection points from battery post to battery post.

A little voltage loss here a little there and it soon adds up, the clue here is that you got rid of an electronic ignition. lower then 4.5 volts measured at the ign module and they flat don't work.

You need to measure the voltage from the neg. coil terminal to the pos. batt. terminal with the starter engaged.

John

Posted on: 2016/10/20 16:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
As OD said do you have the right size cables and good connections all around. I thought my cables were good, but I installed a new pair and it fire right up, somewhere the old cables, although they looked good, had resistance in them somewhere that was causing the engine to crank over slowly and it didn't have enough power to start the engine.
Have you checked out "Serviceman's Training Book: Engine Diagnosis and Tune-Up" at:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?144
Good helpful information on troubleshooting.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/10/22 8:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
I HAD THE BATTERY CHECKED AND IT HAD A VOLTAGE DROP WHEN THE STARTER WAS ENGAGED. NEW BATTERY SEEMS TO HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

BOB

Posted on: 2016/10/24 21:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I continue to be surprised at how many problems a bad battery can provide. This should be a lesson for all of us.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/10/24 22:03
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Bob,

Thanks for letting us all know how you solved your problem, ASK THE MAN WHO FIXED ONE!

Posted on: 2016/10/25 7:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved