Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 1939 Packard 12
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is one photo I have of a Packard water pump wrench. The packing nut should only be tightened to a few lbft of torque, or enough to secure the packing, so your nut is probably stuck. What happens is the casting around the shaft erodes and coolant starts seeping out around the threads. As well people would keep turning the nut rather than add more packing.

I have known people who took the problem to a machinist and had them cut a wrench out of tool steel.

I had some original Packard 12 water packing around here that I was considering remanufacturing. However, the interest was sparse so I canned the idea. I think I kept it. I don't think I threw it away in disgust.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.07 KB)
373_5809211691e06.jpg 360X130 px

Posted on: 2016/10/20 14:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thank you very much. Nut is not stuck. Just trying to get at it without moving the coils, and to clear the body without standing on your head and not rounding off the corners of the nut. Thanks again for the picture, if you have a pump take a look at the clearances on the bottom and the passenger side.

Posted on: 2016/10/20 19:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I've changed the packing on the 39 V-12 on the car and I didn't have a problem. So if the nut turns then I don't understand what is going on here.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 16:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Sometimes the nut flats or points get too close to the pump body to get a wrench to fit. Not a big deal, just in the past have been able to make all kinds of special tools for these cars. So when I make a tool for doing this particular job seeing if someone has a picture of the actual tool. Also too, the wrench handle needs to clear the coils. I have made a tool with the handle bent to clear between the bottom of the coils and the top of the lubrication inlet on the pump body. Just not been able to get the legs of the tool thin enough and strong enough to clear between the nut flats and the pump body. Which on occasion will be under 1/8 inch. Yes there is a bit of coolant there, this is why I am playing around with this. Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (167.60 KB)
733_580abb487cdc7.jpg 1920X1081 px

Posted on: 2016/10/21 20:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Trying to attach a photo or two from another angle, and a couple tools I have tried to make and use, but will not allow.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 20:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I notice the one photo that did post at 1,938Kb is right at the upper maximum for file size. If the others are larger that is probably the reason they are not posting. The title is also long and full of numerals. If there are any periods or other punctuation marks in that string on the other titles that could be another reason.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 20:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Tried the other photos, changed the name to just a word or two. These were shot with my cell phone camera, then downloaded to my desk top. What can I do to make them smaller in size for this site.
Thanks so much.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 21:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are using a Mac, Photos (older versions are named iPhoto) will do it. Just export a copy of the photo to a location and save it as a medium or large file size instead of the default full or original size. Preview will also do it by exporting with a different quality setting. If using Preview, its best to rename that export so the original file and size is not overwritten.

I don't know what Windows has in the way of built in photo programs anymore but maybe someone else can fill in that information. If nothing is built in, there is a free download called Irfanviewhttp://www.irfanview.com that will do the resizing as well as converting to other formats and a lot of other functions. An excellent program but it has been years since I used it. As I remember, you just opened the photo in the program and then resaved it under a different name and in a different size. The purpose of the different name is again to keep the original file and size intact.

There are probably several other Windows programs. Kev had posted information some years ago in the FAQ on one program. If it is still there it may work but I don't know if it works with the latest versions of Windows.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 21:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
If your using Windows then here is a youtube video that shows a quick and easy way to resize your photos. This requires no new software. Just follow his steps and it works great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19GbI6oFrW0
Wes

Posted on: 2016/10/22 7:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Tried it a few times, does not reduce the size of file. I think I have different program than the you tube article for sending emails.

Posted on: 2016/10/22 17:50
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved