Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 143

BigKev, bkazmer, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Hose diagram assembly
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Can anyone please help with my heater hose assembly.

It has been awhile and my original diagram i drew is lost.

I drew a new one of what I think but it looks wrong.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.13 KB)
2823_580d3c9266d4c.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/10/23 17:35
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Re: Hose diagram assembly
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There were no detailed hose drawings prior to 55 but the 55 hose layout is virtually identical to 54. There is a small difference in tube locations on the front heater with the main difference being the water port locations on the engine.

In 54 the hot water outlet is the fitting on the top of the head so path starts there. The first stop is the thermostatic valve. The valve controls the water flow to the cores and to avoid intermittent clicking noises from the valve if it is partially open, the hose from the head needs to connect to the small curved side tube on the valve. Other connection from the valve goes to the front heater side tube. From the exit tube on the front heater it goes to the underseat heater. Out of the underseat heater and back to the return port on the water pump.

Here is the 55-6 dual heater drawing as well as a photo of a 51 front only heater showing the routing of the main hose from the head outlet and then back to the engine. With the underseat heater be sure to drape and strap the hoses similarly to the drawing to keep gravity from pulling on the hoses and kinking the hose to the underseat heater where it exits the front heater.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.01 KB)
209_580d4262a8e8d.jpg 984X1218 px

jpg  (67.06 KB)
209_580d5446edacc.jpg 1034X768 px

Posted on: 2016/10/23 18:06
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Ok,

The closest picture illustration I can only see a part of the run and it shows a hose coming out of the top of the heater box to the pump as your picture illustration shows also.

But the schematic illustration shows that hose coming out from the top box down to the under seat core, in this way of routing I believe the routing would be?

Out from top head to inner thermostatic control.

Out from outer thermostatic control to bottom heater box.

Out from top heater box down to rear connection on under seat core.

Out from front connection on under seat core up to water pump.

Although I don't see a circulation for the engine if the thermostatic control heat is off?
And again this is the schematic illustration.

Here is the picture illustration

Attach file:

jpg  (315.51 KB)
2823_580d60e2d302a.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/10/23 20:16
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your description sounds correct. Unfortunately, neither factory photo shows the optional underseat heater. With just the front heater the front or upper tube from the core returns directly to the water pump and with the underseat heater that second core feeds back to the pump.

Aside from the connection from the head to the valve as the first and most important stop, the order the two cores connect does not matter that much as far as function. Both cores will get warm.

For best operation, typically you would want the front heater to get the hottest water because it has the defroster and also gets the coldest air and the most airflow. It will if it connects to the valve first. If the water leaves the valve and goes to the underseat heater first it loses some temperature before it reaches the front heater. In a lot of cases the underseat heater won't be on so that temperature would be wasted.

I don't remember how the valve is oriented but if you can see the opening in the firewall I believe it has a slight taper. The hose coming from the head would connect to the tube on the narrow end. The issue with the noise is if the engine is turning fairly fast and it feeds into the center tube the water pressure will work against a spring to lift the valve off the seat a tiny amount. The spring pushes back and the valve can click. By going into the tube coming off the side first the water pressure reinforces the spring and assists in holding the valve closed. When the valve is off (cold setting) there is no water circulation in the heater circuit (other than a tiny amount that might get by a not quite closed valve) so the cores will stay cold.

Posted on: 2016/10/23 20:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Is this correct?

Attach file:

jpg  (111.61 KB)
2823_580d7168cfe08.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/10/23 21:26
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks correct to me.

Posted on: 2016/10/23 21:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
The schematic shown in post #5 matches the hose routing in my 1954 Convertible and the system works well.

Posted on: 2016/10/23 21:57
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Thank you Gents.

Post #5 it will be, but I'll make sure to check on that thermostatic flapper.

Any leads on a temp sensor, mine joined a disappearing club.

Maybe out of an auto parts store?
I didn't see any on the X-Ref charts.

And really thank you so much!

Posted on: 2016/10/23 22:54
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you mean the sender for the temp gauge try a TS 6464 from NAPA or a TS-4 from others. Here is a report on the senders DrewLA worked up. The same sender should be fine on all 51-56 with exception of a few 51 or 52s that came out of the factory with a gauge issue and had to have a calibration resistor or special sender installed.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=165532#forumpost165532

Posted on: 2016/10/23 23:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Yes the sender for temp light.
Thanks again..

Posted on: 2016/10/23 23:17
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved