Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

Greg, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Exhaust Manifold Problems
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

gr8scottw
See User information
I'm having a problem with manifold gasket seals blowing VERY quickly in my 1946 Super Clipper with 356 engine, especially the furthest back gasket. When we replaced them, we used the individual gasket set (upon recommendation) instead of the all-in-one gasket. The car ran maybe 200 miles before blowing that last gasket and creating the exhaust leak again.

When we changed the gaskets the last time, we had to remove the manifold completely because one of the studs was bent, which later broke off in removal process, and then the easy out broke, so a super small dental drill later, the easy-out and stud remains were painstakingly removed from the block and a new stud put in.

My mechanic seems to think that the manifold has malformed over the years and through the heat cycles, causing it not to seat properly, which in turn causes that one gasket to blow. It's not that I don't trust him (I absolutely do) but wanted to know if anyone else had this problem or had an idea?

I'm starting to source a replacement exhaust manifold, so if anyone has one laying around... :)

Thanks for the help!

Posted on: 2016/10/25 9:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Exhaust Manifold Problems
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have a machine shop check and surface the manifolds as an assembled set to verify flatness. This is commonly needed after the manifolds have been separated or replaced.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 10:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BEFORE installing the manifold loosen the bolts that hold it to the intake manifold. This ia GENERAL practice and NOT Packard specific.

It is not alays necessary to do that. It depends upon various circumstances. The mechanic should be able to tell depending on how the stud nuts feel when tightening.

Variations in gasket thickness (OEM vs replacement etc) can effect this.

It is a hand fitting operation. Not just a "throw the bolts to it" operation.

Quite possibly the manifold is warped.

A month ago i had a integral cast intakee/exh manifold on a Z120 Continental engine that had warped almost 1/8 inch. It had ran under MY sole ownership or over 20 years and suddenly snapped an ear on th manifold. I'd never had the manifold removed in the time i owned and operated it. Probably poor fitting of the manifold by previous owner. I don't know.

Fitting the manifold is not just a "throw the bolts to it" operation.

One must kind of feel their way thru it. NOT something the average joe the mechanic type ever does.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 11:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Let me guess, it's blowing the gasket at the REAR most cylinder????
Humor me. WHICH cyclinder is it blowing on???

Posted on: 2016/10/25 11:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. i reread your post indicating "furthest back" which would be #8 cylinder.

Again this is NOT Packard specific but common among ANY ENGINE especialy streight 8's.

Probably due to flooding. Carb running over into manifold or other too much choke. BOTTOM LINE: too much gas getting into manifoldthru the intakee or carb.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 11:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Too much gas/ too much choke will not blow a head gasket

Posted on: 2016/10/25 11:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Fred, did you mean to say 'head gasket' or exhaust as is being discussed here?

Posted on: 2016/10/25 13:33
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I would guess the manifolds need to be surfaced, nothing unusual about that, a pretty common need.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Too many late nights working on my project, think I may have blown a gasket myself. Yes I did mean to say manifold gasket but too much gas will not blow any gasket in my experience.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Never seen a muffler with the side blown out of it???? It's usualy due to filling up with gasoline. Happened to me about 3 years ago.

Of course that was on a relatively modern car with ECM. The ECM was bad. It split the muffler AND blew the exhaust manifold gasket and and enuf carbon from the tail pipe to paint a door with. ODDLY ENUF it did not blow the head gasket. Of course it sounded like a 12 gaauge shot gun going off.

The flooding can blow head gasket too. Probably just depends on when the fuel ignites relative to the piston/valve positions.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 15:51
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved