Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 109

BigKev, 29tons, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Exhaust Manifold Problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon...BigKev and Owen are correct. You do need to take the intake and exhaust manifolds to a good machine shop and have them put a really accurate straight edge on them when they are attached as a set. Normally what you find is that there is a gap in one area that allows the gasket to blow. Not enough torque in that one area.

The machine shop will have to mill or grind down the rest of the set to match the lowest place. Then take it home, sprinkle holly water on it and put it back together with the best quality gasket from Kantor or Max and gently tighten it up...not all at once but in stages like a head gasket. Owen, do you know or did Packard have a torque poundage setting for these studs? Ernie

Posted on: 2016/10/25 17:03
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I concur and after mine return from sandblasting I will be heading to the machine shop for them to be decked as well.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 20:57
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I concur. I had the same problem with my 1940 160 Sedan with the 356 engine. I was blowing exhaust gaskets. I finally took the manifolds to a good machinist/mechanic and he machined the exhaust/intake manifolds and it is running great. I should have done it sooner. I hope I do it on my next Packard to save me time.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 21:50
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved