Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 165

Mechagon, BDeB, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Center steering arm bushing ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Hi, just a quick question - I find that once I'm moving the steering is fine and straight. At rest it appears very heavy (a woman would have a really tough time steering my '39 Super 8). I found with the car on the lift the suspension is in pretty good shape except for one thing - the center arm steering bushing has a lot of up and down and sideways slop when I lift up and down on the left and right tie rod ends. Now just to be correct, is what I'm calling it, the center steering arm bushing, the right term? It's located under the center of the crankshaft wheel, pretty much, and looks protected by the suspension housing which has slots where you can see but not easily get to and would it give that heavy steering feel at rest?

Thank you!

Steve

Posted on: 2016/10/25 23:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Center steering arm bushing ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
341162...very common wear point.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 23:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
If there's considerable wear you will need both the bushing and the pin

Posted on: 2016/10/25 23:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I see, and would that give that heavy steering feel at rest?

Posted on: 2016/10/26 11:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Simple physics, you will always have heavier steering when the car is not in motion regardless of whether the front suspension is factory-new or worn to a frazzle. I guess what you're asking is whether a worn center link bushing would add to that normal heaviness? I can't answer that, perhaps others can; but a worn center link bushing will certainly contribute to wander and poor driveability.

Posted on: 2016/10/26 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I guess what you're asking is whether a worn center link bushing would add to that normal heaviness? ..................exactly!

Posted on: 2016/10/26 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Worn center steering bushing/pin will not make the steering heavy. At very slow parking speeds the steering should not be heavy, what will contribute to heaviness is ungreased and worn king pin thrust bearings.

Posted on: 2016/10/26 11:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Adding to what Fred said, underinflated tires. More so if oversized. Yet more so if old, dry, and worn.

Posted on: 2016/10/26 11:53
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
If memory serves - no bushing. It is a needle-bearing assembly on all Seniors '37 - 39).

I personally think Packard got a bit "carried away" on the use of roller and needle bearings when ordinary bushings would be more logical from a physics - engineering standpoint. Any half-way decent machine shop should be able to make you up something. Just keep it greased !

Which reminds me - should you have occasion to want to dis-assemble the front end, DO NOT ATTEMPT to use an ordinary spring compressor. The Steele people used to provide an instruction list on how to dis-arm the springs on the Safety-Flex suspension. It simply "walks you thru" the only way...the safe way Packard assembled and disassembled that potentially VERY dangerous system. ( I know those instructions are good...because I wrote em...! )

Posted on: 2016/10/27 11:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not just Packard and not just automobiles, but I've often wondered about the advisability of using needle bearings, caged or otherwise, in applications that never complete full 360? rotations. One might think that since the needle rollers never complete a full revolution but simply work back and forth, that they would be prone to flat-spotting. No facts or even personal observation, just curious.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 11:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved