Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Chrome shop
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Has anybody have used this chrome shop? If you did how were the results?
https://smittyschromeshop.com/home.html

Posted on: 2016/10/26 17:56
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Re: Chrome shop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Along the same line, there are some "Spray Chrome" shops in Las Vegas, but I haven't found an old school toxic-dip one yet. Does anyone have any experience with spray chrome, either pro or DIY?

Craig

Posted on: 2016/10/26 19:15
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
I've heard the spray chrome is not up to par as compared to the classic toxic dip. Also a question about the wear quality has been raised. This is just from what I've read online. I haven't seen any spray chrome repairs in person. Looks good in the online videos on YouTube though?

Posted on: 2016/10/26 20:57
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jack klat
See User information
I can tell you from personal experience NOT to use Bumper Depot. They basically "flash chrome" everything, and do not use copper under their chrome, which causes the plating to fail in very short order. Janet, the manager, will tell you that their plating process is done "the old fashioned way", but it's all a lie. I purchased front and rear bumpers for a friends 1956 Ford from them.

A little over a year later, the chrome is flaking off on both bumpers. Keep in mind that this is a car that is seldom driven, and kept inside, in a dry garage.

I have since been using LKQ, and have not had any problems. They offer a lifetime warranty on their plating, whereas most places offer a year, or two years. Go for the shops that have been around and offer the lifetime warranty... it's well worth it!

Any type of "flash chrome" or "spray chrome" will not last. The spray chrome is beautiful when applied, but is not hard, like real chromium plating, and will scratch, much like the paint on your car.

Posted on: 2016/10/26 21:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
I know it's a distance from Nevada but I can recommend Paul's Chrome plating in Mars Pa. He did most of the chrome on my Packard and looks better than new. He's not cheap but does quality work and is familiar with Packard.
Also there's Frankfort Plating in Philadelphia,
One of our Studebaker guys is a salesman there and has a good connection with the fellows in the shop. His name is Tony Lombardi a great guy to deal with.

Posted on: 2016/10/26 22:32
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Spray chrome is a fancy paint process to achieve a reflective chrome like reflection. It's great for helmets and dash parts. But you can't polish it like you would real chrome. You have to treat it like paint.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 7:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information

Posted on: 2016/10/27 7:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I corresponded with the spectra chrome guys, got the video, etc.last year. I'm interested to use their mirror aluminum finish on part of my hot rod but I'm far from paint.
You spray the base then spray water on it and it changes to "chrome". Once it cures, you coat it with clear. I'm told you can use other people's clear but they won't guarantee.
There was an episode with a '53-4 Packard(patrician?) on one of the Velocity channel custom auto shows, not sure which one, but I think it was the Detroit guys and it looked good at a distance. But it's not cheap either. It came out to >>$20/ft2. And you have to buy a minimum qty. They'll want to sell you an application machine also. So I'd go to a shop that does it first. Just depends on what you want. Beats aluminum spray paint some use.

You need to decide if you want show quality chrome or not and how fast you want your parts back?
Paul's is very expensive. Advanced Plating (nashville) beat them 50% on price. The delivery is not fast, expect >8 weeks, maybe 14. They did all mine ~$5K and it's flawless.
The bumpers I'll do elsewhere when I get to that point. It's too much money to show chrome them on a common Packard. If you have a V12 or something >$100K in value go for it.
There a place in TX that claims 2 week turn around but no experience. No info on cost. They're in Hemmings. You have to dip your toe in and test chrome vendors on a nonessential part and see if you like it.

Posted on: 2016/10/30 19:31
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved