Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cozy wing removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
I need to replace the glass in the drivers cozy wing. its a 1939 how does it come out?

Posted on: 2016/10/27 15:10
S&S Gas Works Garage LLC,Chester
 Top  Print 

Re: Cozy wing removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Does the rearward chrome trim piece come off with screws?
Or is it just attached to the glass with channel adhesive?
Otherwise the old glass should be able to be pulled out of the frame.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 15:50
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glass is most likely slid into the wing frame and held with setting tape. Other than breaking it out it can be a bear to remove. If you want to try removing the glass intact it will probably require removing the wing frame to prevent springing or damaging the assy.

Removal of the entire wing depends on whether it is the crank out type or the push out type. I am not familiar enough with the crank type to give much info.

Both types probably have a tapered screw thru the door frame or a piece welded to the door frame at the top which acts as an upper pivot. The bottom on the push out generally is a square shaft going thru a hole in the door frame. It probably will have a nut, washer, spring and a couple of locating tabs to prevent the wing from opening too far. Removal of that type is accomplished by removing the nut and associated parts on the bottom, pivot screw on top and then tilting and pulling the entire window out of the door frame.

There are some decent instructions on wing removal and glass work starting about page 9 in the body section of the 46-50 manual. That would also include the 41-2 Clipper. AFAIK, Packard didn't provide any detailed prewar conventional body info and I don't know how similar the 39 conventional body is to the Clipper or postwars.. In case it is you might check out the postwar information to see how it compares to yours.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual4650/Section4.pdf

Posted on: 2016/10/27 16:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Glass shops (used to have a tool that gripped the glass and pushed against the V of the frame. Solvent was sometimes used to loosen the grip of the tape

Posted on: 2016/10/27 16:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
it is a crank out. There isn't a trim on the back part of glass. I was thinking that maybe behind the felt that the main window rides up and down in these might be a screw that holds the top of the frame on and by removing that you can then lift off top trim and lift out wing. Before I start removing felt I thought I would ask. Does this maybe sound correct?

Posted on: 2016/10/27 17:24
S&S Gas Works Garage LLC,Chester
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The glass shop I used had the tool that Fred described. They took the glass out quickly and replaced it just as quickly.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 17:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
A glass shop tool can remove the glass from the wing window while it's still in the car

Posted on: 2016/10/27 17:51
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
May we have a photo of the "trailing edge" of the wind-wing in question ? With that we can give you better advice.

What KIND of "1939 Packard" ?

Some of these folks may be confusing Packard wind-wing construction - many differences between pre-war "Junior" Packards and pre-war "Senior" Packards...in fact...they may as well have been different makes of cars they are so different, lacking any interchangeable parts * *. As for the Clippers and all post-war....same problem....parts are not interchangeable..we need more info. to advise you.

( * * I take that back - even tho 1938 "Junior" and 1938 "Seniors" might as well be from a different manufacturer, there is ONE series of parts that ARE interchangeable...! Door handles, dome light fixtures, and window-cranks ! )

Posted on: 2016/10/28 13:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Lacking a chrome channel on the back edge of the front vent window, it's a junior car. Glass removed as I stated.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 14:37
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved