Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cadillac wire wheels on a Packard Patrician?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
In the 70s and 80s you could get real wire wheels on the big RWD Cadillac coupe de ville and sedans. They used a 5 X 5 wheel bolt pattern like the senior Packards of the fifties. Wonder if they would fit a Packard? Has anyone tried this?

Posted on: 2016/10/27 17:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Cadillac wire wheels on a Packard Patrician?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
We used to manufacture those Cadillac wheels. Yes they are a direct fit to 56 Seniors, for earlier cars you must break away the alignment pin. A good strong whack with a medium ball pien hammer does the trick.

Certain models use a smaller 4 1/2" bolt pattern and the Caddy wheels do not fit

54-55 clippers with 11" brakes
40-41 sixes

Posted on: 2016/10/27 17:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
How about drilling a pin hole in the wheel? I have done this to fit later wheels to older Chrysler products. Is the center register the same? What about wheel bolts? Are the Packard bolts compatible with the Cad wheels? It so happens there is a 54 Patrician for sale near here, and a 1986 Cadillac with wires.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 18:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
One quick whack with a hammer sure beats drilling a hole in exactly the right place, besides you can do it with a dull hammer and no electricity.

I described all you have to do to use the Caddy wheels

Posted on: 2016/10/27 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
OK thanks for the info. If it's all the same to you would rather not go smashing things with a hammer. I or someone else, might want to go back to stock wheels some time.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The original wheels can be used without the pin. It is used only to aid in locating the orig wheels so that they line up with the holes. Without the pin you have to "look" to line them up, hardly a hardship

Posted on: 2016/10/27 21:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Unless you already had a set of Cadillac wire wheels, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy new Packard wire wheels from Coker?

Posted on: 2016/10/27 22:10
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
That is just it, I know where I can get a set of Cadillac wires locally. Otherwise I would not have thought of changing. This is purely theoretical as I have not bought the Packard or the wheels yet. It was just something I was wondering about.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Did a little checking and it seems I can have a set of Coker Packard wires and wide whites delivered to Canada for around $6000 not including import duty.

They are asking $500 for the whole Cadillac.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 1:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved