Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Sad oops at Hilton Head
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
So sad...We saw this car at Hershey; it was fantastic.

My Picture from Hershey

AutoWeek Article

YouTube video

Posted on: 2016/11/7 8:43
 Top  Print   

Re: Sad oops at Hilton Head
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What a shame. And the car had just taken a top award, also awarded at Pebble last fall. And I guess many of us know who owns the car. I'll bet next time he parks it he'll leave it in gear in addition to the parking brake.

Just as an aside, how many of us carry a wheel chock and actually use it on occasion?

Posted on: 2016/11/7 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Heartbreaking! An incredible automobile... and interesting in every way... right down to the beautiful Earle C. Anthony special radio antenna bird ornament!

It will be interesting to see what happens now with this automobile after this sad and preventable disaster. In the excitement of a show it can be easy to overlook simple precautions, but this one was a sad, perfect storm. Let's hope it returns to the show circuit.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 9:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Heartbreaking indeed! And from what I read over on the AACA forum, to make matters worse the water is likely brackish and not fresh which if so would add very significantly to the recovery work required.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 9:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
c'mon guys - what's the big deal...it was only an eight...now, if it had been a Twelve...well...that would be a whole different story...

(yeah..Owen..durn right I carry and use wheel-chocks..even tho I ALWAYS leave mine in reverse AND you can be assured my hand-brake is NOT "costume jewelery"....!)

Posted on: 2016/11/7 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Gosh, Shiny ... that is a rather harsh observation of this unfortunate situation. Everyone screws up at one time or another. "Only an eight"? What does the engine have to do with the fact that this is a truly exceptional car. I assume you have never backed into another car, scraped the side of a car betting into a garage, forgotten to cover your car only to have a bird crap on it, or any other myriad of incidents that just happen to regular human beings. I wish I was that perfect.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 11:04
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
Quote:

MrBumble wrote:

...... I assume you have never backed into another car, scraped the side of a car betting into a garage, forgotten to cover your car only to have a bird crap on it, or any other myriad of incidents that just happen to regular human beings. I wish I was that perfect.

=================

Ha - good point....yes.. I have done all those stupid things...and then some....wont take the time to list em all...but some of them have been...shall we delicately say....expensive....!

And I am being unfair...I wasn't there, shouldn't comment so harshly as I have NO clue what the circumstances were.

But you have to admit...hard to conceive of a fellow pre-war Packard owner...who actually drives a pre-war Packard...getting out of it and leaving it in "neutral".....I have to side with OWEN on this tragedy....!

For me - and for that matter - virtually EVERY one of my friends who operates a pre-war Packard...( I don't associate with folks who have "lesser" brands...!) ( Just kidding...have owned all manner of what we now call "collector" cars....!) probably is incapable of shutting down their car and not shoving it into reverse as instinctive behavior !

Posted on: 2016/11/7 12:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Shiny, nothing you don't already known but I don't leave mine in reverse as, should I forget the battery cutoff, I'd risk coming back to a dead battery as thru '36 seniors putting the transmission in reverse activates the brake lights. So I put it in 1st and also set the parking brake which on the '36 and back seniors locks all 4 wheels, not just the rear two - so it's extra secure.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 13:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Shiny, it's not just an eight it's a super 8, it's a custom bodied car by Bohmann & Schwartz. I kinda know the owner and had a private tour of his collection and had supper with him and his wife about 2 years ago; very nice and knowledgable guy when you get to know him.

On a different note: how bad is this water going to affect the wood in the car; expanding and shrinking etc?

Posted on: 2016/11/7 13:24
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
Hi again Owen !

You are telling me the reverse switch on the top rear of the transmission on your car is "hot" even with the ignition off ?

That is odd - I've owned pre '37 Seniors and NONE did that; had they done that, I would have done a little re-wiring !

Yes - of course I am familiar with how the hand-brake works on "rope brake" Packards ! I trust you are aware that it is a wise practice to occasionaly let a little (NON GUMMING...like a gun oil, sewing machine oil, or 3 in 1 oil) run down the little shaft that connects the button on top of the hand-brake lever with the little "pawl" on the bottom......

Yes - of course I agree with you a battery cut-off is a wise idea. As a side-note, being something of a mean-spirited bully and sadist, I do leave my Packard's electrical system "hot" at car shows, just to show my clock and radio still work.....!

Posted on: 2016/11/7 13:31
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved