Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 134

John Sauser, 53 Cavalier, Don B, David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1939 Super Eight Radio Question.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is there actually a space for a fuse inside the cartridge? Some easy disconnect plugs were of the same construction and could be mistaken for a small fuse holder. On those there is just a spring behind one or both of the terminals. When the two halves are connected the terminal "buttons" touch each other. Other uses for similar looking small holders would be for resistors in a light circuit. Some of the turn signals use those. The radio would definitely have a larger size fuse holder for main input power. In a photo of a different radio it is on a fairly long power lead so may be up behind the dash.

Do you find any other labels on the box? I have a couple of partial schematics but they go by chassis number and not the PA (Packard Accessory) number which is the number seen on that label on the side. Chassis numbers would be in a format something like P-1630 or P-1635.

I only see one obvious fuse on the main incoming line but did not minutely study the schematic.

EDIT: Looking at Joe's illustration of the control head, if that "holder" you are working with that won't take a fuse is near the box, I believe that is one of the easy disconnects. The "A" reference on the wire is the main power lead coming from the on/off switch and feeds the rest of the circuitry. The main fuse is in that "A" wire from ammeter going to the control head and may be closer to the instrument side of dash.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 11:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Could you take a picture of the fuse holder? A 2amp fuse is not enough for the radio. Perhaps the spring is corroded so it feels like it would only take a short fuse like that. I had the Duchess' radio restored in 1986. I drive her at least twice a week and I listen to the radio. Yes, there is Hispanic music, but also sportscasts and a couple oldie-goldie stations with songs I know the words to. Plus you get the crack and whistle of a genuine vacuum tube radio. I'm not a purist, but I like to give the original technology a chance and experience it as millions did before me.

The radio can be rebuilt with transistors instead of tubes as well.

I think I would disconnect the antenna on the curb side, all the cables on the passenger side. Unbolt it from the engine compartment and take the box out before disconnecting the nuts behind the knobs and pushing the control unit back and out. Not real easy with all the wires and vent apparatus.

The faceplate of the radio box pulls off as in the photo.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.57 KB)
1067_5824a00f6e8a2.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (54.53 KB)
1067_5824a0ff2792e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/11/10 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Joe,
its A lead to receiver. I broke down and replaced the fuse holder

Posted on: 2016/11/11 9:56
S&S Gas Works Garage LLC,Chester
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
See if this photo helps at all. Behind the metal plate is your plastic dash, then behind that is your metal dash, and as I remember then the radio head.

Attach file:

jpg  (130.58 KB)
733_58459ab11f5c3.jpg 800X1421 px

jpg  (130.58 KB)
733_58459ab96ce15.jpg 800X1421 px

Posted on: 2016/12/5 11:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved