Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 105

Don Shields, Don B, Spencer B., Aiden, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »

Re: A little Packard History from 1945
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A French traffic jam. JWL

Posted on: 2017/8/20 10:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Champion Plugs used in a Packard.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (66.78 KB)
1003_59a152b0c4f6d.jpg 567X821 px

Posted on: 2017/8/26 5:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Packards new Torsion-Level system.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (90.05 KB)
1003_59a1b9bc9cec9.jpg 569X821 px

Posted on: 2017/8/26 13:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Good to know stuff.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (86.04 KB)
1003_59a1c5059a801.jpg 571X831 px

Posted on: 2017/8/26 13:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Yes I moved into the the fifties now.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (73.85 KB)
1003_59a2e92b6ad24.jpg 571X835 px

Posted on: 2017/8/27 10:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Making everything the same. Reminds me of a story I heard when I was a kid. About a Southern Colonel's driver taking a new car out for its first drive and the first time with an automatic transmission. He though L meant LEAP, D for Drag and R for Race. I'd like to find the story and hear it again. I was thinking it was one of Andy Griffins stories but not sure.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (59.89 KB)
1003_59a421f52c8e0.jpg 389X817 px

Posted on: 2017/8/28 9:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The argument often put forth by those favoring Low and Reverse adjacent to each other was that it facilitated "rocking" the car forward/back when stuck in mud or snow.

Posted on: 2017/8/28 9:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes Owen, and it works great. I have rocked many Packards and Studebakers out of snow and mud in the back yard thanks to that very sensible feature.

I once stopped to help a young lady in an BMW who had inadvisedly pulled off on a soft shoulder on a snowy day. It was blasted inconvenient to get that thing to rock between the brake interlock and location of the R and D positions.

Posted on: 2017/8/28 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I'm surprised that no one mention about hearing the story about the old boys first time with an automatic transmission!

The way the story goes is this Southern Gentleman had a driver that love to hear the tires squeal every time he would stomp on the gas getting on the black top from a gravel road. So one day the Southern Gentleman got a new car with an automatic transmission and his driver ( His drivers name I think was just two letters, JR or JT or maybe JW, something like that.) who had never drove or seen a car with an automatic transmission . So he decided to take it out for a spin.
He gets in, sits for a while. And then takes off wheels spinning. About an hour later comes back with the car tore all to pieces. The Southern Gentleman runs up to him and demands to know what happened to his brand new car.
Well it's like this says his driver. I've never driven a car with an automatic transmission before, so I got in it and was trying to figure out how to make it go. I looked at the "N" and figured that meant Nothin', I put it in Nuthin' and it started right up. Next I looked at that "L" and figured it meant Leap, so I floored it and dropped it into Leap and boy did it ever. Next I was going down the road and this here guy catches up to me, so I figure he wants to drag race, that's when I put it in "D". Next thing I know we're doing better than 60 and he's still wanting to pass, so I'm thinking he wants to race. Boy, the last time I saw him he was still picking his teeth out of his steering wheel.

This is what I remember of the story from hearing it over 50 years ago. Hope you enjoy the read.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/9/11 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Anyone remembering signaling with your headlights or how to use a dimmer switch?
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (65.54 KB)
1003_59bc1df7acf1a.jpg 569X835 px

Posted on: 2017/9/15 13:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 13 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved