Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 in 1949
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
My uncle's '37 Packard sedan taking a bath in OH.
He bought it used after returning from WW2. He was fond of it and used to tell me it used more oil than gas, but was a "real" car. It reportedly had window curtains in the back. Not sure what model. Not discernable from the front view, maybe someone can identify?
He got rid of it before my time, so I have no experience of it. I remember (vaguely) his later '54 Frod.
I was copying family photos for archive and ran across. I zoomed on the license plate for the date. I found a '34 Plymouth and '37 Olds my grandfather owned. Aunt(prewar but still living) says she learned to drive in the Olds. Not many pictures of "things" remain, mostly of people which is what most family photos reflect.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 66.66 KB; Hits: 34

Posted on: 2016/11/28 13:21
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 in 1949
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks like a '38 to me, not a '37. And yes, the senior cars had pull-down silk curtains on rear and rear quarter windows on closed car body styles.

Posted on: 2016/11/28 13:24
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 in 1949
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
'38 Super 8 for sure, split windshield and yes it came with curtains on the back windows. Yes, a real car

Posted on: 2016/11/28 16:29
 Top  Print 

Re: 1938 in 1949
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Thanks for the expert eyes.
Family lore - not to always be believed.
After looking at the differences, the split windshield gives it away, I see that's indeed it's a '38. I hope uncle doesn't turn over in his grave...

Posted on: 2016/11/29 12:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
It may have been titled as a '37. My 1937 120C was delivered 12/31/36 and based on the registration sticker on the windshield, it was registered as a '36 in Ohio as late as 1952. It seems DMV's weren't very particular to model designation in those days.

Posted on: 2016/11/29 16:12
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
That's interesting and a good possibility.
The car fits the '38 pedigree with the split windshield. Faded memories is another likelihood. What's a year or two among family?

I verified I had the correct car photo with my cousin (before she was born). She says that's her mother and grandfather(NICE hat grandpa) doing the washing.

I know they just handed out driver licenses also in OH in those days. You just went down and got one, no test or anything. There weren't that many cars on the road. My grandfather had the first vehicle in Girard, I'm told, a chain drive truck. They had no licenses at that time. He converted from deliveries by wagon and horse teams.

My Cad is registered in SC, and they only have one check box for a two door, ie, coupe de ville, but there's two 2 dr models, so they call it what it's not. De Ville was a trim option not a model then but that changed in 64 so there's more of them as models. Strange but true.

We judge things based on how we see them, not necessarily how they are.

Posted on: 2016/11/30 16:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I found this on the OH BMV website for 1933. So they must not have been in compliance everywhere.

1933: The license plate registration year was changed
from the calendar year and the 1935 plates were good
for a 15 month period, or until April 1st.

Posted on: 2016/12/10 10:10
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved