Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 93

Ozstatman, William Grosz, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

23rd Series Horn Button
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...I took 'Miss Prudence' for about 25 miles from Scottsdale to Fountain Hills for breakfast and she trundled along just fine. Just before I arrived home, I went to use the horn to move a coyote and it did not honk.

I have repaired this system twice and had it working. The last time it quit, the wire had twisted off at the brass fitting that sits on top of the steering wheel bolt. I have looked at Plate 78 in the parts book and it shows everything but the brass fitting and what I think is a little contact spring that goes on top of it.

The only thing that I can think of is that the fitting is not slipping and is rotating back and forth and chrystalizing the wire. I guess my question is 'should there be a fairly stiff little spring on top of the brass fitting or is a contact at that point necessary?

I will admit that at times 'Miss Prudence' decides to toy with me and this is one of those times.

Thanks, Ernie

Posted on: 2016/12/4 15:43
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Re: 23rd Series Horn Button
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe that except for the chrome horn ring and emblem the other internal components are substantially identical to 41- 47.

Wes Boyer did a great job of illustrating that earlier assy and as he shows, there is no small spring to be seen. Using his drawing, I drew out the contact path and the wire portion of the contact should make a good solid connection to the round metal contact plate via the cupped edges of the center wire piece assy. Those two parts are the relay side portion and is kept isolated from the ground side via plastic and fiber insulators. The wire contact is retained in the center by a hollow plastic button like piece which the end of the wire contact fits into. A wave spring on the other side provides the tension so the grounded horn ring can rock approx 1/16" and touch the metal contact plate around the edges.

If the wire is twisting off I would also wonder about the stiffness of the wire. On the 47 it is very flexible -- almost like the typical soft wire used for voltmeter leads -- and should easily be able to absorb several revolutions without twisting off. A tiny bit of the wire insulation may also be crimped onto the contact which would lessen any twisting stress.

Attach file:

jpg  (86.24 KB)
209_5844989051809.jpg 1888X1030 px

jpg  (122.91 KB)
209_58449bae9d176.jpg 1250X960 px

Posted on: 2016/12/4 17:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Thank you HH56 and Wes Boyer...These drawings are a great help. I'll play with this tomorrow and report back. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/12/4 18:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning HH56 and Wes...I have followed your instructions with the great drawing and 'Miss Prudence' now honks as she should. Many, many thanks for your help. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/12/5 10:59
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved