Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Edelbrock 4 Barrel on a straight 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
May need to keep a look out for one of those. Thanks Ross.
I know looking at the specs on valve lift and duration they all looked pretty much the same from 1951-54, yet horsepower and torque advanced.

John

Posted on: 2016/12/8 18:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Ross may know. Possibility? The 327 is a stroked 288 I'm told. Is there any more compression and stroke to get after 327, or does the head blow off/piston touch or no such parts? I think the biggest L8 motor has a different crank(9 mains?)
I'd like to utilize my 288 for something besides yard art and garage filler, but at 130 HP and half a ton, I'd need 4 or 5 of them for where I'd like to be with HP on that project but then have weight of a battleship and handling of a B&O. It's pretty obvious why these went the way of the stagecoach, but are strong running quiet motors. Just have no $ value in today's market.
We've been over turbo charged already so we don't need go there.
ps: Kinda what I suspected. They came with a 2 bbl WGD - no cfm rating.
I think the early 4 bbl (pre '55) Rochesters and maybe Carters were around 300-350 cfm. So one would do but they're the vacuum idle era. I have 2 circa '58s and they're around 500 for 365 ci v8. I think the fireball Buick had 2 progressive single bbls and it's comparable in displacement to the L8s. They used to swop them out with hotter Strombergs, I recall.
I doubt you can lean out an Edelbrock 4 that much to be anywhere near operating ratio on fuel mix and still only need less than half your foot in it so no need for the secondaries. But there's always someone out there that's crafty.

Posted on: 2016/12/8 22:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Thanks for the great responses so far. My goal is not to make a drag racer out of my 288, but a easy-driving no-fuss street cruiser. The original though of a 4 barrel is just bigger must be better thinking.

Posted on: 2016/12/9 0:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
Although my Pacific has a 359 ci engine, with the 2 speed automatic it was a slug in excelleration. Just setting it up with a 700 R4 tranny feels like I added a supercharger to it. You will be surprised if you do go ahead with your transmission project.

Posted on: 2016/12/10 16:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
pft...just put fitech EFI on it. wont even matter if it is too much...it will adjust the programing based on the O2 sensor.

Posted on: 2016/12/10 16:12
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Quote:

Although my Pacific has a 359 ci engine, with the 2 speed automatic it was a slug in excelleration. Just setting it up with a 700 R4 tranny feels like I added a supercharger to it. You will be surprised if you do go ahead with your transmission project..

What carb did you use with your 700R4 set-up? Did you make your own TV cable linkage?

Posted on: 2016/12/17 19:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
My 38 -120 has a 1954 327, 60 thou over, running a Holley 600 and an R6 OD, and it runs very well. Probably over CFM ed, but does not have any hesitation and has given some modern BMW cars real surprises at the stop lights. Do whatever you want..you are dude who has to enjoy it. PT

Posted on: 2016/12/18 4:15
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

See User information
How are You going to fit a TH700 to the straight eight? Doesn?t Your car have the rear engine mounts on each side of the gearbox and one single at the front.

Posted on: 2016/12/18 7:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I have a transmission adapter from Bendtsens.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com

I will have to fab some new transmission mounts, but the block just has the two points on each side of the block.

Posted on: 2016/12/23 9:56
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved