Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 75

Gary Kulp, Ross, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

23rd Series clip for driver's door handle and window crank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...I am finally getting around to replacing some cracked but not broken glass in the driver's door on 'Miss Prudence'. I'm fairly sure that the auto glass company that is making the repair knows what the clip is like and how to remove it as they have been in business for 40 plus years, but I'm wondering if anyone has a drawing of the clips and how they should be removed. I looked in my parts book and just about everything else is illustrated...but not the clip...at least I did not see it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ernie

Posted on: 2016/12/7 17:12
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Re: 23rd Series clip for driver's door handle and window crank
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'm going from memory (2+ years ago) so need to verify. I did my Cad last so might be crossed.
The crank should have a roll pin through it. It's removal is detailed in the manual. They were quite easy to remove. You have to push the door panel back to expose. Mine has a plastic/chrome bezel that's spring loaded. You get in behind it. There's a common trim tool(fork) for this. I think I pushed pin through partly and pulled out with long nose pliers so it wouldn't fall.
The (external) door handles unscrew, if I recall correctly. There's two large screws that hold it through the sheet metal from the backside. Mine are still off so I can check, if needed. Also, should be in the repair manual. I have a hard copy but I think there's one on this site.
The trunk handle had a spring wedge clip.

Posted on: 2016/12/7 18:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Not a roll pin, just a steel pin that will push out. Push hard on both sides of the trim ring and compress the spring behind door panel and you will see the pin. Best to have a friend help and push out the pin. There is a special tool, but small punch will work.

Posted on: 2016/12/7 19:19

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Both the window crank and inside door handle use the pin. No clips are used

Posted on: 2016/12/7 19:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is it the pin in the handles to remove the door panel the question or is it the clip that holds the regulator arms to the slotted bar on the bottom of the glass you are asking about? As others said, the handle pins are round steel rod .134 in diameter and just under 5/8" long.

If it is the window regulator clip, I can't remember for sure what it looks like and what is aggravating is I just went thru that a few months ago. I think it is a hairpin type. At any rate, to remove it you compress a wave or maybe it is a bellevue washer on the regulator pin. The wave washer adds pressure to a flat washer and some leather pads on either side of the slot. The washer can be difficult to compress so if necessary I use a pair of channel locks to catch the regulator arm on one side and the washer on the other leaving the pin free to move. The clip fits in a groove on the pin and once the washer is compressed and pressure is off you just pull the clip out.

Posted on: 2016/12/7 19:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...Welll I drove 'Miss Prudence' 25 miles up the road to Bell glass and they had the handles off the door and the upholstery off as well, faster than I could walk next store for a cup of coffee. The driver's glass and the wind wing were replaced in about 90 minutes. Cash or check only! Then 25 miles home..'Miss Prudence' ran like a Packard should. Thanks agin for your help. Ernie

Posted on: 2016/12/8 14:38
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved