Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '39 Six not running...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If I interpret what's been said correctly, you've wired the heat riser valve in the wrong position. You want the counterweight DOWN so the valve is open. That may or may not be the source of your problem, but its the place to start.

Posted on: 2016/12/9 16:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Re the counterweight - I PRESMUED that the counterweight would pull the valve closed and the helix spring would expand with heat and open it. Am I backwards here?!?!?

The HRV was frozen with the counterweight down and the exhaust was getting really hot really quickly, and in researching online, this was mentioned as a possible reason. I got it freed up and then wired it with the counterweight up. If this is wrong, it is as easy as snipping the wire to let the counterweight go back to the down position, but the problem existed and was unchanged with either scenario. Is counterweight down definitely the 'open' position???

Posted on: 2016/12/9 16:26
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The bimetallic coil spring keeps the valve closed initially and as the spring heats it relaxes the tension on the shaft, allowing the counterweight to drop and gradually open the valve.

Posted on: 2016/12/9 16:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Packard Newbie,
Sounds like you might be missing the bimetal spring and cover. My car was. The helical spring is an anti-rattle spring. Do a site search here and you will find several discussions and illustrations.
Mark

Posted on: 2016/12/9 18:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved