Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 148

Todd W. White, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

oversize kingpins
Just popping in
Just popping in

Neil's1937
See User information
Does anyone know of a source for oversize kingpins for a 41 model 1903? Standard size is 0.866" by 5 1/8". I need at least .005" or preferably .010" oversize.

Posted on: 2016/12/28 12:29
 Top  Print   

Re: oversize kingpins
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't believe that knuckle pins were ever cataloged as a service part in oversizes; so, assuming I'm correct, you'll have to have them made which should be a very simple job for any decent machine shop. Not sure once you have oversized pins what you do about corresponding oversized needle bearings, bushings, thrust bearing, etc. Maybe you could clarify why you believe you need an oversize pin?

Posted on: 2016/12/28 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Thermal spray or HVOF, is a relatively inexpensive method of bringing parts back to size, compared to making parts from scratch.

Parts can be sprayed with a variety of metal coatings and then ground to the correct size and finish. Done properly the sprayed coating forms a metallurgical bond with the base metal.

Automotive & Diesel Industry Thermal Spray Coating Components

Flame Spray Coating Co. offers a full range of range of thermal sprays used for the protection of newly manufactured parts and the repair of used parts for the automotive nad diesel industries. Our thermal spray coatings protect and prolong the lifespan of products subjected to wear, erosion, corrosion and fretting.

Engine parts - Increase the life of high wear components such as crank shafts, prop shafts, torque converters, turbo chargers and piston rings with metal sprays to increase their service life, by applying hard coatings.

Chassis - Protect your vehicles from corrosion attack with protective thermal sprays on your car chassis.

Heat Transfer - Reduce heat transfer using non-conductive metal sprays, improving the performance of your vehicle.

http://www.flamesprayusa.com/thermal-spray-coating-automotive.php

http://www.whiteengineering.com/?gclid=CKvez67Bl9ECFRRLDQodtKYAVA

Posted on: 2016/12/28 13:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Actually the kingpins were cataloged in .005 and .010, see 15.4081.
The reason for this was every once in a while the support arm would get "wallered out" when a kingpin went bad. Its more about the support arm than simply re-cutting the bushings. Also, for 41, O-D is correct, Packard started leaning towards the use of the NB-17 needle bearings in the kingpins as well, and of course you cannot resize those.

And yes, if you need a pair of oversize pins due to the above reason, I have a pair, .005. And yes, definitlely easier than having to replace the whole support arm or have it re-sized for a standard pin.

And further, this is often the case with the 37-38 Super 8's - oversize pins are not available, one must then have the arm machined for an insert/bushing, a fairly difficult and expensive task.

DAF

Attach file:

jpg  (17.86 KB)
439_58642abb3c07b.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2016/12/28 13:37
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Neil's1937
See User information
To answer OD's question, There is play in the knuckle support bore with a new standard size pin. I can fit a piece of .003" shim side to side and .002" fore and aft between them at the lower end of bore. It is also loose at top of bore.
Thanks for replies.

Posted on: 2016/12/28 14:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Interesting .866 is the same size as a 1/2 ton 1953 Chevy truck uses.....
John

Posted on: 2016/12/28 18:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That size king pin was popular in the Chevrolet and GMC truck line, used on Corvette thru 1962. See applications listed on the cover of the box for my king pin driver and ream.

Attach file:

jpg  (163.83 KB)
177_5864578e4fcfe.jpg 1438X716 px

Posted on: 2016/12/28 19:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
The truck king pins used floating bushings, so no reaming was necessary. Cars, I don't know.

Posted on: 2016/12/28 23:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved