Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: 1940 Packard 1801 won't start
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
If the piston hits top and the valve is open or partially open there's no compression. If the gaskets is leaking there's no compression in that cyl. The camshaft sets valve openings which cannot be changed. Changing the timing sets the spark late or early.

If the timing chain is not installed exactly to spec to align exhaust valve opening near top dead center, what good is it to adjust the spark?

Bob

Posted on: 2017/1/13 12:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the gaskets is leaking there's no compression in that cyl.

Not necessarily true. Cylinders suffering a blown head gasket will often show "some" compression, perhaps 30 psi or thereabouts. It's more likely to show no compression when the gasket failure is in the web between two adjacent cylinders and some significant portion of the gasket is actually missing.

If the timing chain is not installed exactly to spec .......... what good is it to adjust the spark?

That's exactly the point I made to you a few posts ago, ignore the ignition timing until you determine the valve timing is correct. In the absence of your actually giving some new factual information, it doesn't seem to me like continuing the speculation is a worthwhile endeavor. I'll close out and just watch from the sidelines.

Posted on: 2017/1/13 13:04
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
Owen don't give up. Could you start a "help Bob hattler fund to defray the costs of fixing the %$#%&*( timing chain"

I just poured myself a double Martini to help defray the pain.

Thanks for your help,

Bob

Posted on: 2017/1/13 13:52
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
we will start the tear down by first removing the side panels to check the valve operation like Fred indicated.

Next week.

Bob

Posted on: 2017/1/13 21:42
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
Added MMO to each cylinder and now have 25 to 35 PSI compression at all cylinders. It appears the exhaust valve is opening too soon. No further action possible at home, towing to repair shop tomorrow.
Thanks for all the input.
Bob

Posted on: 2017/1/18 16:47
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
diagnostics today: dowels inserted in plug holes and all dowels were propelled out as the valves came up. Packard plugs located over exhaust valves.
Looking for other diagnostics.

Bob

Posted on: 2017/1/20 14:30
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

bob hattler
See User information
blew out plug holes water came out of #7 and $8. OOPS
Bob

Posted on: 2017/1/23 18:05
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
Compared to some of the actions you were considering, just pull the head and re evaluate you situation . There are plenty of good threads on this site for pulling the head . You can then observe the condition and action of your valves . You can also check your cylinder ridge for wear .

Maybe now humbly order a new headgasket from mr Kanter for his earlier patience and efforts .

Posted on: 2017/1/31 22:48
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved