Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Converting to R-11 OD question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Can any one tell me if it's complicated to convert over from R-9 to R-11 OD, what parts are needed and if anyone has the parts what would it cost?

Thanks, Rob

Posted on: 2017/1/7 22:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Converting to R-11 OD question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No help on where to obtain one but complete assys do show up on ebay. I suspect there are several posters here who might have something. Sometimes the electrical parts come with the unit but most often they are sold separately. Fortunately the R11 electrical is very simple and can use some generic or aftermarket electrical items. The only absolutely needed R11 specific items are the solenoid and governor. Your R9 already has the lockout switch and cable.

Not terribly complicated to swap but you will need to change the trans and OD as a unit. As mentioned, the electrical is quite different from the R9. You will need a new relay, kickdown sw, solenoid, and a different wiring loom. You can make that loom up as a separate assy since it is only a few wires. Since your car is not exactly stock doubt there is much need for original electrical parts. A universal kickdown sw is available at Napa as other cars used the same. Relay can be an ordinary inexpensive 6v 40 amp cube type available from Newark or some of the loom places. Fuse can be inline instead of mounted on the relay box.

Here is the brief version of what is required from a writeup in Service Counselor Vol 23 #4. There are some other articles with more detailed info on a couple of items. You might select the Service Index from the left menu. Under 48-50; then trans and overdrive; on the page that opens other counselors and bulletins having some pertinent info on the R11 are listed. Vol 23 #2 has a complete description of the operation of the R11. Packard called their overdrives Aero Drives and Econodrives. The R9 info is in the Econodrive training manual. There is also an article explaining the R9 lockup problem in Service Counselor Vol 21 # 15.

Attach file:

jpg  (254.03 KB)
209_5871b6c9eb88d.jpg 953X1920 px

Posted on: 2017/1/7 22:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
thank you HH56

Posted on: 2017/1/8 0:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
just curious, why would you go to the effort/expense if you already have an R9?

Posted on: 2017/1/8 0:31
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Flackmaster,
I'm tring to get an idea of what it would take. I have a feeling the original R9 on mine might be damaged and whats causing the transmission issues I'm having. so ill know after I try I few things what ill need

Posted on: 2017/1/8 4:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
There are people that fix these things-I also have a non functioning r9 which I am investigating getting fixed. One thought is Herm the Overdrive guy-has a web site.

Posted on: 2017/1/8 11:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
If you're looking for an R11 overdrive and transmission you could check out Flackmaster, he might have one or two laying about.

Posted on: 2017/1/31 0:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
R9 with electromatic switches ready to ship. Finding an R11 electromatic, not so easy.,,,

Attach file:

jpg  (14.26 KB)
439_5891e80036270.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2017/2/1 8:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Packrat48
See User information
Flackmaster, do you know the internal condition of the trans and R9?
Also what would that cost?

Posted on: 2017/2/1 22:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
All appears in order with the cover off the transmission portion, that is honestly all I know. Have you had the opportunity to diagnose your issues?
HH56 is the guru on all things overdrive diagnostic - heed whatever path he suggests, if he hasn't already, pop him a pm.

price on the transmission is whatever is fair - I have no use for it.

DAF

Posted on: 2017/2/1 22:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved