Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 79

BigKev, Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Differential oil. Best modern oil weight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I have a 1947 Clipper. My differential weeps a little and I have to keep a pan under it. I think this is fairly common with a pinion seal of that vintage as the technology was not there to prevent weeping. The pinion seal was pretty simple. Am I correct in this suspicion???

Anyway, what modern weight oil is best to minimize weeping?

Thanks

Posted on: 2017/1/18 15:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Differential oil. Best modern oil weight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With a proper seal, properly installed, and a shaft in good condition, your pinion seal should NOT weep.

As to gear oil, the multi-vis SAE 85W-140 type finds favor with many of us who don't want to change between summer and winter viscosities, I use it in both the '34 and '56 and have for decades. Brand is probably unimportant but I use Valvoline. But regardless of what your viscosity or supplier choice is, just make sure it's rated as Extreme Pressure, or EP, or hypoid gear type.

Replacing a rear pinion seal is a topic that's covered here very frequently. Rather than go thru it again, why not use the search function? You'll find excellent guidance on doing the job. If you want to use a heavy hypoid gear oil in hopes of minimizing the weeping, highest you should go is SAE 140, but not a great choice for cold weather operation. And I doubt it will cut down significantly on your leak.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Would probably be a good idea to check that your differential banjo breather is not clogged up as this will pressurise the banjo and cause a weep. Don't just check that the cap rotates. Remove it and check as the core can still be blocked. PT

Posted on: 2017/1/18 20:02
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I did that and now am watching it.
Thank you

Posted on: 2017/1/19 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Are you sure it's leaking at the shaft seal? I'm just asking because there was a problem with the rear end leaking where the halves where jointed together from around the bolts.
Wes
Added a couple of pictures.

Attach file:

jpg  (113.90 KB)
1003_588170eaa7cd9.jpg 1363X1053 px

jpg  (216.21 KB)
1003_5881710487e57.jpg 1436X1586 px

Posted on: 2017/1/19 20:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved