Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

BigKev, Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 120 headliner installation
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
I will soon be attempting to install a headliner in my 1941 120 sedan. Can someone direct me to the method used to secure the sides of the headliner? I installed a headliner in a 1951 300. There were barbed sheetmetal sides for the headliner to be attached, I believe there was a tack strip in the front and back if I recall. I looked at 120 interior at the sides of the headliner and I don't see a barbed strip of sheet metal. Please advise

Posted on: 2017/1/18 19:42
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 120 headliner installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
My 41 160 was the same. Since the bodies were the same as the 120 I can only assume that the 120 is the same thing. Cut the headliner along the sides and you should see the fastening strips.

Posted on: 2017/1/19 6:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Clippers are done the same way -- barbs and tack strips. I believe the barbs face inward and are not readily seen because they are covered by the headlining material pushed up over them. You may be able to slide a small flat and wide tool in the space between the headliner and the windlace. If so by prying outward slightly you can force the retainer strip out to open the work area and by pushing up at the same time possibly lift the headliner off the barbs.

Done carefully in conjunction with forceps or something to grab the folded over piece of the headliner while you push up it is possible to release the headliner from the barbs. If the headliner is old and rotten fabric there is a good possibility that manipulation will also cause the fabric to split so not advised if someone is planning to keep an existing headliner. Usually once a fabric headliner is installed it is very difficult to remove one without damage and even harder to try to try and reinstall it and get it back in the same position so unfaded or damaged edges do not show.

I was able to remove and replace an original vinyl type headliner from a 54 Pacific that had fallen in the center due to rotted bow pockets. Those appear to be a vinyl coating over some sort of base and fairly strong -- although they can tear if not careful. The upholsterer sewed new pockets onto the good portion of the old and then using vinyl dye I was able to recolor and then reinstall. Turned out quite presentable.

Posted on: 2017/1/19 10:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
If you try to pry the material out from under the barbed strips you may bend them so they won't grab the new material. The best way to remove the old material is to cut the headliner with a razor blade so you can access the screws that hold the barbed strips. Then you can remove the screws hat hold the strips without bending them. The metal strips are probably rusty and can bend rather easily.

Posted on: 2017/1/20 7:03
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

casey rog
See User information
Thanks everyone.

Posted on: 2017/1/27 16:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hello all, The trimmer is installing a new headliner on Noel's 41 160 coupe and needs to know how to attach the front portion of the headliner above the windscreen surround. He sent a small video and there is quite a gap where there should not be. Does anyone have any photos, details or advice on how and to what the headliner attaches at the front windscreen please? Where is the tack stip located? Peter Toet.

Attach file:

png  Noels headlining Aug 21.PNG (245.87 KB)
154_6121aa7458714.png 360X640 px

Posted on: 2021/8/21 17:22
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
What's that I hear?

Cricket's!

With no responses to date to Peter's question regarding the headliner installation problem in Noel's '41 160 Coupe thought I'd provide a little background to this stumbling block in completing the Coupe's restoration.

Noel has been restoring the Coupe now for a good number of years and over time some many parts were lost along the way.(Peter is sure that somewhere there's big drum full of parts from this car just waiting to be discovered!)

Anyway, on my Hershey trip in 2018 Noel tasked me with finding many of the parts he then required. Amongst those I failed to find were the parts required for re-installation of the headliner. There was nothing at Hershey itself. Although I found a couple of '41 Coupes, their current owners hadn't restored the cars and were unable to provide any help.

But, on the Sunday after Hershey, at Dave Lockards Packard Truck Show a '41 110 Coupe pulled in. Note, all 110, 120 & 160 Coupe bodies are the same. The amazing feature of this Coupe was that it didn't have any interior! Just a more modern bucket seat so it was driveable. Couldn't believe it! Plus the owner was kind enough to let me take pictures of the headliner area, one of which is reproduced below(shows a similar area to that in Peter's picture).

Can anyone please assist Peter to enable the headliner installation to be completed? Even if it's not a '41 Packard other Packards, of that era or maybe post WW2, might have similar headliner mounting features?

Highlight of the Packard Truck Show, besides the '41 110 Coupe, was Ross taking a drive in one of Dave's Packard Trucks.

Attach file:

jpg  41 110 Coupe.JPG (205.65 KB)
226_6125e28c4a440.jpg 1920X1031 px

jpg  Headliner removed.JPG (151.91 KB)
226_6125e386ec2a3.jpg 1632X1224 px

jpg  Ross and Packard Truck.JPG (200.17 KB)
226_6125e399e6888.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2021/8/25 1:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A question I would have would be if there is any sign of cement on the windshield header or glass mounting flange under the rubber gasket.

Will admit to not working on a prewar conventional body car so it might be completely different but that area does look similar to the Clipper and postwar bodies which had the headliner cement to the underside of the windshield header -- sometimes over a thin layer of padding -- to hold fabric in place. That narrow cemented area was then covered with the garnish molding. On Clipper rear windows the headliner actually went under the rubber gasket holding the glass in the car and got cemented directly to the flange so maybe that was the method used on the front too.

Another question would be if there is a chance the headliner was made using an old and possibly shrunken or damaged headliner as a pattern. I noticed after taking mine out and storing it then comparing it to a repro that the old wool piece had shrunk considerably. If it was cut out of the car it might also have been shortened.

Posted on: 2021/8/25 10:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I think you will find that there is supposed to be piece of tack strip about 1/2 x 1/4" just behind the flange for the glass.

Posted on: 2021/8/25 11:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard and Ross.

Hopefully your answers will help Peter, and ultimately Noel, with the installation of the headliner.

Posted on: 2021/8/25 20:17
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved